The following events took place on April 23. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 40 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 215 BCA temple is built on the Capitoline Hill dedicated to Venus Erycina to commemorate the Roman defeat at Lake Trasimene.
- 599Maya king Uneh Chan of Calakmul attacks rival city-state Palenque in southern Mexico, defeating queen Yohl Ik'nal and sacking the city.
- 711Dagobert III is crowned King of the Franks.
- 1014Battle of Clontarf: Brian Boru defeats Viking invaders, but is killed in battle.
- 1016Edmund Ironside succeeds his father Æthelred the Unready as king of England.
- 1343St. George’s Night Uprising commences in the Duchy of Estonia.
- 1348The founding of the Order of the Garter by King Edward III is announced on St. George’s Day.
- 1516The Bayerische Reinheitsgebot (regarding the ingredients of beer) is signed in Ingolstadt.
- 1521Battle of Villalar: King Charles I of Spain defeats the Comuneros.
- 1635The first public school in the United States, Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston.
- 1655The Siege of Santo Domingo begins during the Anglo-Spanish War, and fails seven days later.
- 1660Treaty of Oliva is established between Sweden and Poland.
- 1661King Charles II of England, Scotland and Ireland is crowned in Westminster Abbey.
- 1815The Second Serbian Uprising: A second phase of the national revolution of the Serbs against the Ottoman Empire, erupts shortly after the annexation of the country to the Ottoman Empire.
- 1910American President Theodore Roosevelt makes his “The Man in the Arena” speech.
- 1914First baseball game at Wrigley Field, then known as Weeghman Park in Chicago.
- 1918World War I: The British Royal Navy makes a raid in an attempt to neutralise the Belgian port of Bruges-Zeebrugge.
- 1920The Grand National Assembly of Turkey (TBMM) is founded in Ankara, Turkey. It denounces the government of Sultan Mehmed VI and announces the preparation of a temporary constitution.
- 1927Cardiff City defeat Arsenal in the FA Cup Final, the only time it has been won by a team not based in England.
- 1932The 153-year-old De Adriaan Windmill in Haarlem, Netherlands burns down. It is rebuilt and reopens exactly 70 years later.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)