The following events took place on April 23. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 40 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 215 BCA temple is built on the Capitoline Hill dedicated to Venus Erycina to commemorate the Roman defeat at Lake Trasimene.
- 599Maya king Uneh Chan of Calakmul attacks rival city-state Palenque in southern Mexico, defeating queen Yohl Ik'nal and sacking the city.
- 711Dagobert III is crowned King of the Franks.
- 1014Battle of Clontarf: Brian Boru defeats Viking invaders, but is killed in battle.
- 1016Edmund Ironside succeeds his father Æthelred the Unready as king of England.
- 1343St. George’s Night Uprising commences in the Duchy of Estonia.
- 1348The founding of the Order of the Garter by King Edward III is announced on St. George’s Day.
- 1516The Bayerische Reinheitsgebot (regarding the ingredients of beer) is signed in Ingolstadt.
- 1521Battle of Villalar: King Charles I of Spain defeats the Comuneros.
- 1635The first public school in the United States, Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston.
- 1655The Siege of Santo Domingo begins during the Anglo-Spanish War, and fails seven days later.
- 1660Treaty of Oliva is established between Sweden and Poland.
- 1661King Charles II of England, Scotland and Ireland is crowned in Westminster Abbey.
- 1815The Second Serbian Uprising: A second phase of the national revolution of the Serbs against the Ottoman Empire, erupts shortly after the annexation of the country to the Ottoman Empire.
- 1910American President Theodore Roosevelt makes his “The Man in the Arena” speech.
- 1914First baseball game at Wrigley Field, then known as Weeghman Park in Chicago.
- 1918World War I: The British Royal Navy makes a raid in an attempt to neutralise the Belgian port of Bruges-Zeebrugge.
- 1920The Grand National Assembly of Turkey (TBMM) is founded in Ankara, Turkey. It denounces the government of Sultan Mehmed VI and announces the preparation of a temporary constitution.
- 1927Cardiff City defeat Arsenal in the FA Cup Final, the only time it has been won by a team not based in England.
- 1932The 153-year-old De Adriaan Windmill in Haarlem, Netherlands burns down. It is rebuilt and reopens exactly 70 years later.
What is in store for you this year? Let these forecasts and predictions help you succeed in life. Benefit from life changing events and know when they occur. Make everyday activities easier to handle. Get your Forecast Reports or download free samples!