The following events took place on August 15. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 83 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 636Arab–Byzantine wars: The Battle of Yarmouk between Byzantine Empire and Rashidun Caliphate begins.
- 717Arab–Byzantine wars: Maslama ibn Abd al-Malik begins the Second Arab Siege of Constantinople, which will last for nearly a year.
- 718Arab–Byzantine wars: Raising of the Second Arab Siege of Constantinople.
- 747Carloman, mayor of the palace of Austrasia, renounces his position as majordomo and retires to a monastery near Rome. His brother Pepin the Short becomes the sole ruler (de facto) of the Frankish Kingdom.
- 778The Battle of Roncevaux Pass, at which Roland is killed.
- 927The Saracens conquer and destroy Taranto.
- 982Holy Roman Emperor Otto II is defeated by the Saracens in the Battle of Capo Colonna, in Calabria
- 1018Byzantine general Eustathios Daphnomeles blinds and captures Ibatzes of Bulgaria by a ruse, thereby ending Bulgarian resistance against Emperor Basil II’s conquest of Bulgaria.
- 1038King Stephen I, the first king of Hungary, dies; his nephew, Peter Orseolo, succeeds him.
- 1040King Duncan I is killed in battle against his first cousin and rival Macbeth. The latter succeeds him as King of Scotland.
- 1057King Macbeth is killed at the Battle of Lumphanan by the forces of Máel Coluim mac Donnchada.
- 1070The Pavian-born Benedictine Lanfranc is appointed as the new Archbishop of Canterbury in England.
- 1185The cave city of Vardzia is consecrated by Queen Tamar of Georgia.
- 1237The Battle of the Puig takes place in the context of the Spanish Reconquista pitting the forces of the Taifa of Valencia against the Kingdom of Aragon. The battle resulted in an Aragonese victory.
- 1248The foundation stone of Cologne Cathedral, built to house the relics of the Three Wise Men, is laid. (Construction is eventually completed in 1880.)
- 1261Michael VIII Palaiologos is crowned Byzantine emperor in Constantinople.
- 1281Mongol invasion of Japan: The Mongolian fleet of Kublai Khan is destroyed by a “divine wind” for the second time in the Battle of Kōan.
- 1309The city of Rhodes surrenders to the forces of the Knights of St. John, completing their conquest of Rhodes. The knights establish their headquarters on the island and rename themselves the Knights of Rhodes.
- 1430Francesco Sforza, lord of Milan, conquers Lucca.
- 1461The Empire of Trebizond surrenders to the forces of Sultan Mehmed II. This is regarded by some historians as the real end of the Byzantine Empire. Emperor David is exiled and later murdered.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get tips about your current relationship and how to improve it. Astrology reports to help you decide when to make yourself available for romantic or social activity. Get your love & romance reports or download free samples!