The following events took place on December 15. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 533Vandalic War: Byzantine general Belisarius defeats the Vandals, commanded by King Gelimer, at the Battle of Tricamarum.
- 687Pope Sergius I is elected.
- 1161Jin–Song wars: Military officers conspire against Emperor Hailing of the Jin dynasty after a military defeat at the Battle of Caishi, and assassinate the emperor at his camp.
- 1167Sicilian Chancellor Stephen du Perche moves the royal court to Messina to prevent a rebellion.
- 1256Hulagu Khan captures and destroys the Hashshashin stronghold at Alamut Castle (in present-day Iran) as part of the Mongol offensive on Islamic southwest Asia.
- 1467Stephen III of Moldavia defeats Matthias Corvinus of Hungary, with the latter being injured thrice, at the Battle of Baia.
- 1778American Revolutionary War: British and French fleets clash in the Battle of St. Lucia.
- 1791The United States Bill of Rights becomes law when ratified by the Virginia General Assembly.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Nashville – Union forces under George Thomas almost completely destroy the Army of Tennessee under John Hood.
- 1890Hunkpapa Lakota leader Sitting Bull is killed on Standing Rock Indian Reservation, leading to the Wounded Knee Massacre.
- 1905The Pushkin House is established in Saint Petersburg, Russia, to preserve the cultural heritage of Alexander Pushkin
- 1906The London Underground’s Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway opens.
- 1913Nicaragua becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires Convention.
- 1914World War I: The Serbian Army recaptures Belgrade from the invading Austro-Hungarian Army.
- 1914A gas explosion at Mitsubishi Hōjō coal mine, in Kyushu, Japan, kills 687.
- 1917World War I: An armistice is reached between the new Bolshevik government and the Central Powers.
- 1933The Twenty-first Amendment to the United States Constitution officially becomes effective, repealing the Eighteenth Amendment that prohibited the sale, manufacture, and transportation of alcohol.
- 1939Gone with the Wind receives its premiere at Loew’s Grand Theatre in Atlanta, Georgia, United States.
- 1941The Holocaust: German troops murder over 15,000 Jews at Drobytsky Yar, a ravine southeast of the city of Kharkiv, Ukraine, Soviet Union.
- 1942World War II: The Battle of Mount Austen, the Galloping Horse, and the Sea Horse begins during the Guadalcanal Campaign.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get tips about your current relationship and how to improve it. Astrology reports to help you decide when to make yourself available for romantic or social activity. Get your love & romance reports or download free samples!