The following events took place on December 15. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 533Vandalic War: Byzantine general Belisarius defeats the Vandals, commanded by King Gelimer, at the Battle of Tricamarum.
- 687Pope Sergius I is elected.
- 1161Jin–Song wars: Military officers conspire against Emperor Hailing of the Jin dynasty after a military defeat at the Battle of Caishi, and assassinate the emperor at his camp.
- 1167Sicilian Chancellor Stephen du Perche moves the royal court to Messina to prevent a rebellion.
- 1256Hulagu Khan captures and destroys the Hashshashin stronghold at Alamut Castle (in present-day Iran) as part of the Mongol offensive on Islamic southwest Asia.
- 1467Stephen III of Moldavia defeats Matthias Corvinus of Hungary, with the latter being injured thrice, at the Battle of Baia.
- 1778American Revolutionary War: British and French fleets clash in the Battle of St. Lucia.
- 1791The United States Bill of Rights becomes law when ratified by the Virginia General Assembly.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Nashville – Union forces under George Thomas almost completely destroy the Army of Tennessee under John Hood.
- 1890Hunkpapa Lakota leader Sitting Bull is killed on Standing Rock Indian Reservation, leading to the Wounded Knee Massacre.
- 1905The Pushkin House is established in Saint Petersburg, Russia, to preserve the cultural heritage of Alexander Pushkin
- 1906The London Underground’s Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway opens.
- 1913Nicaragua becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires Convention.
- 1914World War I: The Serbian Army recaptures Belgrade from the invading Austro-Hungarian Army.
- 1914A gas explosion at Mitsubishi Hōjō coal mine, in Kyushu, Japan, kills 687.
- 1917World War I: An armistice is reached between the new Bolshevik government and the Central Powers.
- 1933The Twenty-first Amendment to the United States Constitution officially becomes effective, repealing the Eighteenth Amendment that prohibited the sale, manufacture, and transportation of alcohol.
- 1939Gone with the Wind receives its premiere at Loew’s Grand Theatre in Atlanta, Georgia, United States.
- 1941The Holocaust: German troops murder over 15,000 Jews at Drobytsky Yar, a ravine southeast of the city of Kharkiv, Ukraine, Soviet Union.
- 1942World War II: The Battle of Mount Austen, the Galloping Horse, and the Sea Horse begins during the Guadalcanal Campaign.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)