The following events took place on February 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 138The Roman emperor Hadrian adopts Antoninus Pius, effectively making him his successor.
- 493Odoacer surrenders Ravenna after a 3-year siege and agrees to a mediated peace with Theoderic the Great.
- 628Khosrau II is overthrown by his son Kavadh II.
- 1336Four thousand defenders of Pilėnai commit mass suicide rather than be taken captive by the Teutonic Knights.
- 1631François de Bassompierre, a French courtier, is arrested on Richelieu’s orders.
- 1797Colonel William Tate and his force of 1000–1500 soldiers surrender after the Last invasion of Britain.
- 1821Greek War of Independence: Alexander Ypsilantis issues a proclamation at Iași, announcing that he had “the support of a great power” (i.e. Russia).
- 1831Battle of Olszynka Grochowska, part of Polish November Uprising against Russian Empire.
- 1836Samuel Colt is granted a United States patent for the Colt revolver.
- 1843Lord George Paulet occupies the Kingdom of Hawaii in the name of Great Britain in the Paulet Affair (1843).
- 1848Provisional government in revolutionary France, by Louis Blanc‘s motion, guarantees workers’rights.
- 1856A Peace conference opens in Paris after the Crimean War.
- 1866Miners in Calaveras County, California, discover what is now called the Calaveras Skull - human remains that supposedly indicated that man, mastodons, and elephants had co-existed.
- 1870Hiram Rhodes Revels, a Republican from Mississippi, is sworn into the United States Senate, becoming the first African American ever to sit in the U.S. Congress.
- 1875Guangxu Emperor of Qing dynasty China begins his reign, under Empress Dowager Cixi’s regency.
- 1901J. P. Morgan incorporates the United States Steel Corporation.
- 1912Marie-Adélaïde, the eldest of six daughters of Guillaume IV, becomes the first reigning Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.
- 1916World War I: The Germans capture Fort Douaumont during the Battle of Verdun.
- 1919Oregon places a one cent per U.S. gallon tax on gasoline, becoming the first U.S. state to levy a gasoline tax.
- 1921Tbilisi, capital of the Democratic Republic of Georgia, is occupied by Bolshevist Russia.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)