The following events took place on January 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 21 - 40.
- 1922First use of insulin to treat diabetes in a human patient.
- 1923Occupation of the Ruhr: Troops from France and Belgium occupy the Ruhr area to force Germany to make its World War I reparation payments.
- 1927Louis B. Mayer, head of film studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), announces the creation of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, at a banquet in Los Angeles, California.
- 1935Amelia Earhart becomes the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California.
- 1942World War II: The Japanese capture Kuala Lumpur.
- 1943World War II: The United States and United Kingdom give up territorial rights in China.
- 1943Italian-American anarchist Carlo Tresca is assassinated in New York City.
- 1945Greek Civil War: Last day of the Dekemvriana clashes in Athens, Greece.
- 1946Enver Hoxha, Secretary General of the Communist Party of Albania, declares the People’s Republic of Albania with himself as head of state.
- 1949The first “networked” television broadcasts take place as KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania goes on the air connecting the east coast and mid-west programming.
- 1949A record-setting snowstorm hits Los Angeles, California.
- 1957The African Convention is founded in Dakar, Senegal.
- 1960Henry Lee Lucas, once listed as America’s most prolific serial killer, commits his first known murder.
- 1962Cold War: While tied to its pier in Polyarny, the Soviet submarine B-37 is destroyed when fire breaks out in its torpedo compartment.
- 1962An avalanche on Huascarán in Peru causes 4,000 deaths.
- 1964Surgeon General of the United States Dr. Luther Terry, M.D., publishes the landmark report Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the United States saying that smoking may be hazardous to health, sparking national and worldwide anti-smoking efforts.
- 1972East Pakistan renames itself Bangladesh.
- 1973Major League Baseball owners vote in approval of the American League adopting the designated hitter position.
- 1986The Gateway Bridge, Brisbane in Queensland, Australia is officially opened.
- 1994The Irish Government announces the end of a 15-year broadcasting ban on the IRA and its political arm Sinn Féin.
What is in store for you this year? Let these forecasts and predictions help you succeed in life. Benefit from life changing events and know when they occur. Make everyday activities easier to handle. Get your Forecast Reports here!