The following events took place on January 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 21 - 40.
- 1922First use of insulin to treat diabetes in a human patient.
- 1923Occupation of the Ruhr: Troops from France and Belgium occupy the Ruhr area to force Germany to make its World War I reparation payments.
- 1927Louis B. Mayer, head of film studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), announces the creation of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, at a banquet in Los Angeles, California.
- 1935Amelia Earhart becomes the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California.
- 1942World War II: The Japanese capture Kuala Lumpur.
- 1943World War II: The United States and United Kingdom give up territorial rights in China.
- 1943Italian-American anarchist Carlo Tresca is assassinated in New York City.
- 1945Greek Civil War: Last day of the Dekemvriana clashes in Athens, Greece.
- 1946Enver Hoxha, Secretary General of the Communist Party of Albania, declares the People’s Republic of Albania with himself as head of state.
- 1949The first “networked” television broadcasts take place as KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania goes on the air connecting the east coast and mid-west programming.
- 1949A record-setting snowstorm hits Los Angeles, California.
- 1957The African Convention is founded in Dakar, Senegal.
- 1960Henry Lee Lucas, once listed as America’s most prolific serial killer, commits his first known murder.
- 1962Cold War: While tied to its pier in Polyarny, the Soviet submarine B-37 is destroyed when fire breaks out in its torpedo compartment.
- 1962An avalanche on Huascarán in Peru causes 4,000 deaths.
- 1964Surgeon General of the United States Dr. Luther Terry, M.D., publishes the landmark report Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the United States saying that smoking may be hazardous to health, sparking national and worldwide anti-smoking efforts.
- 1972East Pakistan renames itself Bangladesh.
- 1973Major League Baseball owners vote in approval of the American League adopting the designated hitter position.
- 1986The Gateway Bridge, Brisbane in Queensland, Australia is officially opened.
- 1994The Irish Government announces the end of a 15-year broadcasting ban on the IRA and its political arm Sinn Féin.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)