The following events took place on January 12. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1528Gustav I of Sweden is crowned king.
- 1554Bayinnaung, who would go on to assemble the largest empire in the history of Southeast Asia, is crowned King of Burma.
- 1616The city of Belém is founded in Pará, Brazil by Francisco Caldeira Castelo Branco.
- 1777Mission Santa Clara de Asís is founded in what is now Santa Clara, California.
- 1808The organizational meeting that led to the creation of the Wernerian Natural History Society, a former Scottish learned society, is held in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 1808John Rennie’s scheme to defend St Mary’s Church, Reculver, founded in 669, from coastal erosion was abandoned in favour of demolition, despite the church being an exemplar of Anglo-Saxon architecture and sculpture.
- 1848The Palermo rising takes place in Sicily against the Bourbon Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
- 1866The Royal Aeronautical Society is formed in London.
- 1872Yohannes IV is crowned Emperor of Ethiopia in Axum, the first imperial coronation in that city in over 200 years.
- 1895The National Trust is founded in the United Kingdom.
- 1898Itō Hirobumi begins his third term as Prime Minister of Japan.
- 1899Thirteen crew members and five apprentices are rescued from the stricken schooner Forest Hall by the Lynmouth Lifeboat when the former founders off the coast of Devon.
- 1902Uddevalla Suffrage Association is formally dissolved.
- 1906Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman’s cabinet (which included amongst its members H. H. Asquith, David Lloyd George, and Winston Churchill) embarks on sweeping social reforms after a Liberal landslide in the British general election.
- 1908A long-distance radio message is sent from the Eiffel Tower for the first time.
- 1911The University of the Philippines College of Law is formally established; three future Philippine presidents are among the first enrollees.
- 1915The United States House of Representatives rejects a proposal to give women the right to vote.
- 1916Both Oswald Boelcke and Max Immelmann, for achieving eight aerial victories each over Allied aircraft, receive the German Empire’s highest military award, the Pour le Mérite as the first German aviators to earn it.
- 1918Finland’s “Mosaic Confessors” law goes into effect, making Finnish Jews full citizens.
- 1921Acting to restore confidence in baseball after the Black Sox Scandal, Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis is elected as Major League Baseball’s first commissioner.
What is in store for you this year? Let these forecasts and predictions help you succeed in life. Benefit from life changing events and know when they occur. Make everyday activities easier to handle. Get your Forecast Reports or download free samples!