The following events took place on January 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 307Jin Huidi, Chinese Emperor of the Jin dynasty, is poisoned and succeeded by his son Jin Huaidi.
- 387Siyaj K‘ak’conquers Waka
- 871Alfred the Great leads a West Saxon army to repel an invasion by Danelaw Vikings.
- 1297François Grimaldi, disguised as a monk, leads his men to capture the fortress protecting the Rock of Monaco, establishing his family as the rulers of Monaco.
- 1454The papal bull Romanus Pontifex is written.
- 1499Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany.
- 1697Last execution for blasphemy in Britain; of Thomas Aikenhead, student, at Edinburgh.
- 1735Premiere performance of George Frideric Handel’s Ariodante at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
- 1746Second Jacobite rising: Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Stirling.
- 1790George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York, New York.
- 1806Cape Colony becomes a British colony.
- 1811An unsuccessful slave revolt is led by Charles Deslondes in St. Charles and St. James, Louisiana.
- 1815War of 1812: Battle of New Orleans – Andrew Jackson leads American forces in victory over the British.
- 1835The United States national debt is zero for the only time.
- 1863American Civil War: Second Battle of Springfield
- 1867African American men are granted the right to vote in Washington, D.C.
- 1877Crazy Horse and his warriors fight their last battle against the United States Cavalry at Wolf Mountain, Montana Territory.
- 1889Herman Hollerith is issued US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’— his punched card calculator.
- 1904The Blackstone Library is dedicated, marking the beginning of the Chicago Public Library system.
- 1906A landslide in Haverstraw, New York, caused by the excavation of clay along the Hudson River, kills 20 people.
Seriously, how much do you know yourself? Do you want to gain true understanding of the real you? It’s all about you! Your confidence, your nature, your career and you as a person. Get your personality profile reports or download free samples!