The following events took place on July 31. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 52 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 30 BCBattle of Alexandria: Mark Antony achieves a minor victory over Octavian’s forces, but most of his army subsequently deserts, leading to his suicide.
- 781The oldest recorded eruption of Mount Fuji (Traditional Japanese date: July 6, 781).
- 1009Pope Sergius IV becomes the 142nd pope, succeeding Pope John XVIII.
- 1201Attempted usurpation by John Komnenos the Fat for the throne of Alexios III Angelos.
- 1423Hundred Years’ War: Battle of Cravant: The French army is defeated by the English at Cravant on the banks of the river Yonne.
- 1451Jacques Cœur is arrested by order of Charles VII of France.
- 1492The Jews are expelled from Spain when the Alhambra Decree takes effect.
- 1498On his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to discover the island of Trinidad.
- 1588The Spanish Armada is spotted off the coast of England.
- 1655Russo-Polish War (1654–67): The Russian army enters the capital of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Vilnius, which it holds for six years.
- 1658Aurangzeb is proclaimed Moghul emperor of India.
- 1667Second Anglo-Dutch War: Treaty of Breda ends the conflict.
- 1703Daniel Defoe is placed in a pillory for the crime of seditious libel after publishing a politically satirical pamphlet, but is pelted with flowers.
- 1712Action of 31 July 1712 (Great Northern War): Danish and Swedish ships clash in the Baltic Sea; the result is inconclusive.
- 1715Seven days after a Spanish treasure fleet of 12 ships left Havana, Cuba for Spain, 11 of them sink in a storm off the coast of Florida. A few centuries later, treasure is salvaged from these wrecks.
- 1741Charles Albert of Bavaria invades Upper Austria and Bohemia.
- 1763Odawa Chief Pontiac’s forces defeat British troops at the Battle of Bloody Run during Pontiac’s War.
- 1777The U.S. Second Continental Congress passes a resolution that the services of Gilbert du Motier “be accepted, and that, in consideration of his zeal, illustrious family and connexions, he have the rank and commission of major-general of the United States.”
- 1790The first U.S. patent is issued, to inventor Samuel Hopkins for a potash process.
- 1856Christchurch, New Zealand is chartered as a city.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get tips about your current relationship and how to improve it. Astrology reports to help you decide when to make yourself available for romantic or social activity. Get your love & romance reports or download free samples!