The following events took place on May 1. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 88 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 305Diocletian and Maximian retire from the office of Roman emperor.
- 524King Sigismund of Burgundy is executed at Orléans after an 8-year reign and is succeeded by his brother Godomar.
- 880The Nea Ekklesia is inaugurated in Constantinople, setting the model for all later cross-in-square Orthodox churches.
- 1328Wars of Scottish Independence end: By the Treaty of Edinburgh–Northampton the Kingdom of England recognises the Kingdom of Scotland as an independent state.
- 1455Battle of Arkinholm, Royal forces end the Black Douglas hegemony in Scotland.
- 1576Stephen Báthory, the reigning Prince of Transylvania, marries Anna Jagiellon and they become co-rulers of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.
- 1707The Act of Union joins the Kingdom of England and Kingdom of Scotland to form the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 1753Publication of Species Plantarum by Linnaeus, and the formal start date of plant taxonomy adopted by the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.
- 1759Josiah Wedgwood founds the Wedgwood pottery company in Great Britain.
- 1776Establishment of the Illuminati in Ingolstadt (Upper Bavaria), by Jesuit-taught Adam Weishaupt.
- 1778American Revolution: The Battle of Crooked Billet begins in Hatboro, Pennsylvania.
- 1785Kamehameha I, the king of Hawaii, defeats Kalanikūpule and establishes the Kingdom of Hawaii.
- 1786In Vienna, Austria, Mozart’s opera The Marriage of Figaro is performed for the first time.
- 1794War of the Pyrenees: The Battle of Boulou ends, in which French forces defeat the Spanish and regain nearly all the land they lost to Spain in 1793.
- 1840The Penny Black, the first official adhesive postage stamp, is issued in the United Kingdom.
- 1844Hong Kong Police Force, the world’s second modern police force and Asia’s first, is established.
- 1846The few remaining Mormons left in Nauvoo, Illinois, formally dedicate the Nauvoo Temple.
- 1851Queen Victoria opens The Great Exhibition in London.
- 1852The Philippine peso is introduced into circulation.
- 1856The Province of Isabela was created in the Philippines in honor of the Queen Isabela II of Spain.
What is in store for you this year? Let these forecasts and predictions help you succeed in life. Benefit from life changing events and know when they occur. Make everyday activities easier to handle. Get your Forecast Reports or download free samples!