The following events took place on May 1. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 88 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 305Diocletian and Maximian retire from the office of Roman emperor.
- 524King Sigismund of Burgundy is executed at Orléans after an 8-year reign and is succeeded by his brother Godomar.
- 880The Nea Ekklesia is inaugurated in Constantinople, setting the model for all later cross-in-square Orthodox churches.
- 1328Wars of Scottish Independence end: By the Treaty of Edinburgh–Northampton the Kingdom of England recognises the Kingdom of Scotland as an independent state.
- 1455Battle of Arkinholm, Royal forces end the Black Douglas hegemony in Scotland.
- 1576Stephen Báthory, the reigning Prince of Transylvania, marries Anna Jagiellon and they become co-rulers of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.
- 1707The Act of Union joins the Kingdom of England and Kingdom of Scotland to form the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 1753Publication of Species Plantarum by Linnaeus, and the formal start date of plant taxonomy adopted by the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.
- 1759Josiah Wedgwood founds the Wedgwood pottery company in Great Britain.
- 1776Establishment of the Illuminati in Ingolstadt (Upper Bavaria), by Jesuit-taught Adam Weishaupt.
- 1778American Revolution: The Battle of Crooked Billet begins in Hatboro, Pennsylvania.
- 1785Kamehameha I, the king of Hawaii, defeats Kalanikūpule and establishes the Kingdom of Hawaii.
- 1786In Vienna, Austria, Mozart’s opera The Marriage of Figaro is performed for the first time.
- 1794War of the Pyrenees: The Battle of Boulou ends, in which French forces defeat the Spanish and regain nearly all the land they lost to Spain in 1793.
- 1840The Penny Black, the first official adhesive postage stamp, is issued in the United Kingdom.
- 1844Hong Kong Police Force, the world’s second modern police force and Asia’s first, is established.
- 1846The few remaining Mormons left in Nauvoo, Illinois, formally dedicate the Nauvoo Temple.
- 1851Queen Victoria opens The Great Exhibition in London.
- 1852The Philippine peso is introduced into circulation.
- 1856The Province of Isabela was created in the Philippines in honor of the Queen Isabela II of Spain.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)