The following events took place on May 4. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 51 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1256The Augustinian monastic order is constituted at the Lecceto Monastery when Pope Alexander IV issues a papal bull Licet ecclesiae catholicae.
- 1415Religious reformers John Wycliffe and Jan Hus are condemned as heretics at the Council of Constance.
- 1436Assassination of the Swedish rebel (later national hero) Engelbrekt Engelbrektsson
- 1471Wars of the Roses: The Battle of Tewkesbury: Edward IV defeats a Lancastrian Army and kills Edward of Westminster, Prince of Wales.
- 1493Pope Alexander VI divides the New World between Spain and Portugal along the Line of Demarcation.
- 1626Dutch explorer Peter Minuit arrives in New Netherland (present day Manhattan Island) aboard the See Meeuw.
- 1675King Charles II of England orders the construction of the Royal Greenwich Observatory.
- 1686The Municipality of Ilagan is founded in the Philippines.
- 1776Rhode Island becomes the first American colony to renounce allegiance to King George III.
- 1799Fourth Anglo-Mysore War: The Battle of Seringapatam: The siege of Seringapatam ends when the city is invaded and Tipu Sultan killed by the besieging British army, under the command of General George Harris.
- 1814Emperor Napoleon I of France arrives at Portoferraio on the island of Elba to begin his exile.
- 1814King Ferdinand VII of Spain signs the Decrete of the 4th of May, returning Spain to absolutism.
- 1836Formation of Ancient Order of Hibernians
- 1859The Cornwall Railway opens across the Royal Albert Bridge linking the counties of Devon and Cornwall in England.
- 1865Surrender of the Confederate departments of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana at Citronelle, Alabama.
- 1869The Naval Battle of Hakodate is fought in Japan.
- 1871The National Association, the first professional baseball league, opens its first season in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- 1886Haymarket affair: A bomb is thrown at policemen trying to break up a labor rally in Chicago, United States, killing eight and wounding 60. The police fire into the crowd.
- 1902Eight fishermen lose their lives in Galway Bay, Ireland in a drowning tragedy.
- 1904The United States begins construction of the Panama Canal.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)