The following events took place on April 16. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1457 BCLikely date of the Battle of Megiddo between Thutmose III and a large Canaanite coalition under the King of Kadesh, the first battle to have been recorded in what is accepted as relatively reliable detail.
- 73Masada, a Jewish fortress, falls to the Romans after several months of siege, ending the Great Jewish Revolt.
- 1346Dušan the Mighty is proclaimed Emperor, with the Serbian Empire occupying much of the Balkans.
- 1520The Revolt of the Comuneros begins in Spain against the rule of Charles V.
- 1521Protestant Reformation: Martin Luther’s first appearance before the Diet of Worms to be examined by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and the other estates of the empire.
- 1582Spanish conquistador Hernando de Lerma founds the settlement of Salta, Argentina.
- 1746The Battle of Culloden is fought between the French-supported Jacobites and the British Hanoverian forces commanded by William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, in Scotland. After the battle many highland traditions were banned and the Highlands of Scotland were cleared of inhabitants.
- 1780The University of Münster in Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany is founded.
- 1799Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Mount Tabor: Napoleon drives Ottoman Turks across the River Jordan near Acre.
- 1818The United States Senate ratifies the Rush–Bagot Treaty, establishing the border with Canada.
- 1847The accidental shooting of a Māori by an English sailor results in the opening of the Wanganui Campaign of the New Zealand land wars.
- 1853The first passenger rail opens in India, from Bori Bunder, Bombay to Thane.
- 1858The Wernerian Natural History Society, a former Scottish learned society, is wound up.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle at Lee’s Mills in Virginia.
- 1862American Civil War: The District of Columbia Compensated Emancipation Act, a bill ending slavery in the District of Columbia, becomes law.
- 1863American Civil War: Siege of Vicksburg: Ships led by Union Admiral David Dixon Porter move through heavy Confederate artillery fire on approach to Vicksburg, Mississippi.
- 1881In Dodge City, Kansas, Bat Masterson fights his last gun battle.
- 1894Manchester City F.C. was formed from Ardwick A.F.C.
- 1908Natural Bridges National Monument is established in Utah.
- 1910The oldest existing indoor ice hockey arena still used for the sport in the 21st century, Boston Arena, opens for the first time.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)