The following events took place on April 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 796King Æthelred I of Northumbria is murdered in Corbridge by a group led by his ealdormen, Ealdred and Wada. The patrician Osbald is placed on the throne, but is within 27 days abdicated.
- 1025Bolesław Chrobry is crowned in Gniezno, becoming the first King of Poland.
- 1506The cornerstone of the current St. Peter’s Basilica is laid.
- 1518Bona Sforza is crowned as queen consort of Poland.
- 1521Trial of Martin Luther begins its second day during the assembly of the Diet of Worms. He refuses to recant his teachings despite the risk of excommunication.
- 1689Bostonians rise up in rebellion against Sir Edmund Andros.
- 1738Real Academia de la Historia (“Royal Academy of History”) is founded in Madrid.
- 1775American Revolution: The British advancement by sea begins; Paul Revere and other riders warn the countryside of the troop movements.
- 1797The Battle of Neuwied: French victory against the Austrians.
- 1807The Harwich ferry disaster occurred near the North Sea port of Harwich on the Essex coast (England) in which 60-90 people drowned during the capsizing of a small ferry boat.
- 1831The University of Alabama is founded.
- 1848American victory at the battle of Cerro Gordo opens the way for invasion of Mexico.
- 1857“The Spirits Book” by Allan Kardec is published, marking the birth of Spiritualism in France.
- 1864Battle of Dybbøl: A Prussian-Austrian army defeats Denmark and gains control of Schleswig. Denmark surrenders the province in the following peace settlement.
- 1880An F4 tornado strikes Marshfield, Missouri, killing 99 people and injuring 100.
- 1897The Greco-Turkish War is declared between Greece and the Ottoman Empire.
- 1899The St. Andrew’s Ambulance Association is granted a Royal Charter by Queen Victoria.
- 1902Quetzaltenango, the second largest city of Guatemala, is destroyed by an earthquake.
- 1906An earthquake and fire destroy much of San Francisco, California.
- 1909Joan of Arc is beatified in Rome.
- 1912The Cunard liner RMS Carpathia brings 705 survivors from the RMS Titanic to New York City.
- 1915French pilot Roland Garros is shot down and glides to a landing on the German side of the lines during World War I.
- 1923Yankee Stadium, “The House that Ruth Built”, opens.
- 1924Simon & Schuster publishes the first crossword puzzle book.
- 1930BBC reported there was no news, then played out with piano music.
- 1936The first Champions Day is celebrated in Detroit, Michigan.
- 1942World War II: The Doolittle Raid on Japan. Tokyo, Yokohama, Kobe and Nagoya are bombed.
- 1942Pierre Laval becomes Prime Minister of Vichy France.
- 1943World War II: Operation Vengeance, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto is killed when his aircraft is shot down by U.S. fighters over Bougainville Island.
- 1945Over 1,000 bombers attack the small island of Heligoland, Germany.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Angelina’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)