The following events took place on April 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 796King Æthelred I of Northumbria is murdered in Corbridge by a group led by his ealdormen, Ealdred and Wada. The patrician Osbald is placed on the throne, but is within 27 days abdicated.
- 1025Bolesław Chrobry is crowned in Gniezno, becoming the first King of Poland.
- 1506The cornerstone of the current St. Peter’s Basilica is laid.
- 1518Bona Sforza is crowned as queen consort of Poland.
- 1521Trial of Martin Luther begins its second day during the assembly of the Diet of Worms. He refuses to recant his teachings despite the risk of excommunication.
- 1689Bostonians rise up in rebellion against Sir Edmund Andros.
- 1738Real Academia de la Historia (“Royal Academy of History”) is founded in Madrid.
- 1775American Revolution: The British advancement by sea begins; Paul Revere and other riders warn the countryside of the troop movements.
- 1797The Battle of Neuwied: French victory against the Austrians.
- 1807The Harwich ferry disaster occurred near the North Sea port of Harwich on the Essex coast (England) in which 60-90 people drowned during the capsizing of a small ferry boat.
- 1831The University of Alabama is founded.
- 1848American victory at the battle of Cerro Gordo opens the way for invasion of Mexico.
- 1857“The Spirits Book” by Allan Kardec is published, marking the birth of Spiritualism in France.
- 1864Battle of Dybbøl: A Prussian-Austrian army defeats Denmark and gains control of Schleswig. Denmark surrenders the province in the following peace settlement.
- 1880An F4 tornado strikes Marshfield, Missouri, killing 99 people and injuring 100.
- 1897The Greco-Turkish War is declared between Greece and the Ottoman Empire.
- 1899The St. Andrew’s Ambulance Association is granted a Royal Charter by Queen Victoria.
- 1902Quetzaltenango, the second largest city of Guatemala, is destroyed by an earthquake.
- 1906An earthquake and fire destroy much of San Francisco, California.
- 1909Joan of Arc is beatified in Rome.
- 1912The Cunard liner RMS Carpathia brings 705 survivors from the RMS Titanic to New York City.
- 1915French pilot Roland Garros is shot down and glides to a landing on the German side of the lines during World War I.
- 1923Yankee Stadium, “The House that Ruth Built”, opens.
- 1924Simon & Schuster publishes the first crossword puzzle book.
- 1930BBC reported there was no news, then played out with piano music.
- 1936The first Champions Day is celebrated in Detroit, Michigan.
- 1942World War II: The Doolittle Raid on Japan. Tokyo, Yokohama, Kobe and Nagoya are bombed.
- 1942Pierre Laval becomes Prime Minister of Vichy France.
- 1943World War II: Operation Vengeance, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto is killed when his aircraft is shot down by U.S. fighters over Bougainville Island.
- 1945Over 1,000 bombers attack the small island of Heligoland, Germany.
Curious about this Choco Oregano? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!