The following events took place on April 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 21 - 40.
- 1912The Cunard liner RMS Carpathia brings 705 survivors from the RMS Titanic to New York City.
- 1915French pilot Roland Garros is shot down and glides to a landing on the German side of the lines during World War I.
- 1923Yankee Stadium, “The House that Ruth Built”, opens.
- 1924Simon & Schuster publishes the first crossword puzzle book.
- 1930BBC reported there was no news, then played out with piano music.
- 1936The first Champions Day is celebrated in Detroit, Michigan.
- 1942World War II: The Doolittle Raid on Japan. Tokyo, Yokohama, Kobe and Nagoya are bombed.
- 1942Pierre Laval becomes Prime Minister of Vichy France.
- 1943World War II: Operation Vengeance, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto is killed when his aircraft is shot down by U.S. fighters over Bougainville Island.
- 1945Over 1,000 bombers attack the small island of Heligoland, Germany.
- 1946The International Court of Justice holds its inaugural meeting in The Hague, Netherlands.
- 1949The keel for the aircraft carrier USS United States is laid down at Newport News Drydock and Shipbuilding. However, construction is canceled five days later, resulting in the Revolt of the Admirals.
- 1954Gamal Abdel Nasser seizes power in Egypt.
- 1955Twenty-nine nations meet at Bandung, Indonesia, for the first Asian-African Conference.
- 1958A United States federal court rules that poet Ezra Pound be released from an insane asylum.
- 1961The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, a cornerstone of modern international relations, is adopted.
- 1961CONCP is founded in Casablanca as a united front of African movements opposing Portuguese colonial rule.
- 1974The Prime Minister of Pakistan Zulfikar Ali Bhutto inaugurates Lahore’s dry port.
- 1980The Republic of Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia) comes into being, with Canaan Banana as the country’s first President. The Zimbabwean dollar replaces the Rhodesian dollar as the official currency.
- 1981The longest professional baseball game is begun in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The game is suspended at 4:00 the next morning and finally completed on June 23.
Seriously, how much do you know yourself? Do you want to gain true understanding of the real you? It’s all about you! Your confidence, your nature, your career and you as a person. Get your personality profile reports or download free samples!