The following events took place on April 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 31 - 48.
- 1946The International Court of Justice holds its inaugural meeting in The Hague, Netherlands.
- 1949The keel for the aircraft carrier USS United States is laid down at Newport News Drydock and Shipbuilding. However, construction is canceled five days later, resulting in the Revolt of the Admirals.
- 1954Gamal Abdel Nasser seizes power in Egypt.
- 1955Twenty-nine nations meet at Bandung, Indonesia, for the first Asian-African Conference.
- 1958A United States federal court rules that poet Ezra Pound be released from an insane asylum.
- 1961The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, a cornerstone of modern international relations, is adopted.
- 1961CONCP is founded in Casablanca as a united front of African movements opposing Portuguese colonial rule.
- 1974The Prime Minister of Pakistan Zulfikar Ali Bhutto inaugurates Lahore’s dry port.
- 1980The Republic of Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia) comes into being, with Canaan Banana as the country’s first President. The Zimbabwean dollar replaces the Rhodesian dollar as the official currency.
- 1981The longest professional baseball game is begun in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The game is suspended at 4:00 the next morning and finally completed on June 23.
- 1983A suicide bomber destroys the United States embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, killing 63 people.
- 1988The United States launches Operation Praying Mantis against Iranian naval forces in the largest naval battle since World War II.
- 1992General Abdul Rashid Dostum revolts against President Mohammad Najibullah of the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan and allies with Ahmad Shah Massoud to capture Kabul.
- 1996In Lebanon, at least 106 civilians are killed when the Israel Defense Forces shell the United Nations compound at Quana where more than 800 civilians had taken refuge.
- 2007The Supreme Court of the United States upholds the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act in a 5–4 decision.
- 2007A series of bombings, two of them being suicides, occur in Baghdad, killing 198 and injuring 251.
- 2013A suicide bombing in a Baghdad cafe kills 27 people and injures another 65.
- 2014Sixteen people are killed in an avalanche on Mount Everest.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!