The following events took place on April 19. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 53 events. Showing 31 - 53.
- 1951General Douglas MacArthur retires from the military.
- 1954The Constituent Assembly of Pakistan recognises Urdu and Bengali as the national languages of Pakistan.
- 1956Actress Grace Kelly marries Prince Rainier of Monaco.
- 1960Students in South Korea hold a nationwide pro-democracy protest against president Syngman Rhee, eventually forcing him to resign.
- 1971Sierra Leone becomes a republic, and Siaka Stevens the president.
- 1971Vietnam War: Vietnam Veterans Against the War begin “Operation Dewey Canyon III”, a five-day demonstration in Washington, D.C.
- 1971Launch of Salyut 1, the first space station.
- 1971Charles Manson is sentenced to death (later commuted life imprisonment) for conspiracy to commit the Tate–LaBianca murders.
- 1973The Portuguese Socialist Party is founded in the German town of Bad Münstereifel.
- 1975India’s first satellite, Aryabhata, is launched.
- 1984Advance Australia Fair is proclaimed as Australia’s national anthem, and green and gold as the national colours.
- 1985U.S.S.R performs nuclear tests at Eastern Kazakhstan/Semipalatinsk.
- 1985Two hundred ATF and FBI agents lay siege to the compound of the neo-Nazi survivalist group The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord in Arkansas. The CSA surrenders two days later.
- 1987The Simpsons premieres as a short cartoon on The Tracey Ullman Show.
- 1989A gun turret explodes on the USS Iowa, killing 47 sailors.
- 1993The 51-day FBI siege of the Branch Davidian building outside Waco, Texas, USA, ends when a fire breaks out. Eighty-one people die.
- 1993South Dakota governor George Mickelson and seven others are killed when a state-owned aircraft crashes in Iowa.
- 1995Oklahoma City bombing: The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, USA, is bombed, killing 168.
- 1997The 1997 Red River Flood overwhelms the city of Grand Forks, North Dakota. Fire breaks out and spreads in downtown Grand Forks, but high water levels hamper efforts to reach the fire, leading to the destruction of 11 buildings.
- 1999The German Bundestag returns to Berlin, the first German parliamentary body to meet there since the Reichstag was dissolved in 1933.
- 2000Security guard David Sanes killed in accidental bombing in Vieques, Puerto Rico that resulted in U.S. Navy closing down its bombing range there.
- 2011Fidel Castro resigns from the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba after 45 years of holding the title.
- 2013Boston Marathon bombings suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev is killed in a shootout with police. His brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is captured while hiding in a boat inside a backyard in Watertown, Massachusetts.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Drew’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)