The following events took place on April 2. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 40 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1513Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León first sights land in what is now Florida.
- 1755Commodore William James captures the Maratha fortress of Suvarnadurg on west coast of India.
- 1792The Coinage Act is passed establishing the United States Mint.
- 1800Ludwig van Beethoven leads the premiere of his First Symphony in Vienna.
- 1801Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Copenhagen: The British capture the Danish fleet.
- 1851Rama IV is crowned King of Thailand.
- 1863Richmond Bread Riot: Food shortages incite hundreds of angry women to riot in Richmond, Virginia, and demand that the Confederate government release emergency supplies.
- 1865American Civil War: At the Third Battle of Petersburg Virginia, the Siege of Petersburg is broken by Union Army troops capturing trenches and breaking Confederate States Army lines, forcing the Confederates under General Robert E. Lee to retreat in the Appomattox Campaign.
- 1865American Civil War: Confederate President Jefferson Davis and most of his Cabinet flee the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia.
- 1885Cree warriors attack the village of Frog Lake, North-West Territories, Canada, killing nine.
- 1900The United States Congress passes the Foraker Act, giving Puerto Rico limited self-rule.
- 1902Dmitry Sipyagin, Minister of Interior of the Russian Empire, is assassinated in the Marie Palace, St Petersburg.
- 1902“Electric Theatre”, the first full-time movie theater in the United States, opens in Los Angeles.
- 1911The Australian Bureau of Statistics conducts the country’s first national census.
- 1912The ill-fated RMS Titanic begins sea trials.
- 1917World War I: United States President Woodrow Wilson asks the U.S. Congress for a declaration of war on Germany.
- 1921The Autonomous Government of Khorasan, a military government encompassing the modern state of Iran, is established.
- 1930After the mysterious death of Empress Zewditu, Haile Selassie is proclaimed emperor of Ethiopia.
- 1945Diplomatic relations between the Soviet Union and Brazil are established.
- 1956As the World Turns and The Edge of Night premiere on CBS-TV. The two soaps become the first daytime dramas to debut in the 30-minute format.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)