April 2 Historical Events
The following events took place on April 2. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 40 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1513Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León first sights land in what is now Florida.
- 1755Commodore William James captures the Maratha fortress of Suvarnadurg on west coast of India.
- 1792The Coinage Act is passed establishing the United States Mint.
- 1800Ludwig van Beethoven leads the premiere of his First Symphony in Vienna.
- 1801Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Copenhagen: The British capture the Danish fleet.
- 1851Rama IV is crowned King of Thailand.
- 1863Richmond Bread Riot: Food shortages incite hundreds of angry women to riot in Richmond, Virginia, and demand that the Confederate government release emergency supplies.
- 1865American Civil War: At the Third Battle of Petersburg Virginia, the Siege of Petersburg is broken by Union Army troops capturing trenches and breaking Confederate States Army lines, forcing the Confederates under General Robert E. Lee to retreat in the Appomattox Campaign.
- 1865American Civil War: Confederate President Jefferson Davis and most of his Cabinet flee the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia.
- 1885Cree warriors attack the village of Frog Lake, North-West Territories, Canada, killing nine.
- 1900The United States Congress passes the Foraker Act, giving Puerto Rico limited self-rule.
- 1902Dmitry Sipyagin, Minister of Interior of the Russian Empire, is assassinated in the Marie Palace, St Petersburg.
- 1902“Electric Theatre”, the first full-time movie theater in the United States, opens in Los Angeles.
- 1911The Australian Bureau of Statistics conducts the country’s first national census.
- 1912The ill-fated RMS Titanic begins sea trials.
- 1917World War I: United States President Woodrow Wilson asks the U.S. Congress for a declaration of war on Germany.
- 1921The Autonomous Government of Khorasan, a military government encompassing the modern state of Iran, is established.
- 1930After the mysterious death of Empress Zewditu, Haile Selassie is proclaimed emperor of Ethiopia.
- 1945Diplomatic relations between the Soviet Union and Brazil are established.
- 1956As the World Turns and The Edge of Night premiere on CBS-TV. The two soaps become the first daytime dramas to debut in the 30-minute format.
- 1962The first official panda crossing is opened outside London Waterloo station.
- 1972Actor Charlie Chaplin returns to the United States for the first time since being labeled a communist during the Red Scare in the early 1950s.
- 1973Launch of the LexisNexis computerized legal research service.
- 1973The Liberal Movement breaks away from the Liberal and Country League in South Australia.
- 1975Vietnam War: Thousands of civilian refugees flee from Quảng Ngãi Province in front of advancing North Vietnamese troops.
- 1975Construction of the CN Tower is completed in Toronto, Canada. It reaches 553.33 m in height, becoming the world’s tallest free-standing structure.
- 1980United States President Jimmy Carter signs the Crude Oil Windfall Profits Tax Act in an effort to help the U.S. economy rebound.
- 1982Falklands War: Argentina invades the Falkland Islands.
- 1986Alabama governor George Wallace, a former segregationist most widely known for the “Stand in the Schoolhouse Door”, announces that he will not seek a fifth four-year term and will retire from public life upon the end of his term in January 1987.
- 1989Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev arrives in Havana, Cuba, to meet with Fidel Castro in an attempt to mend strained relations.
Curious about this Durian Sprinkle? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!