The following events took place on April 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 58 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 404 BCPeloponnesian War: Lysander’s Spartan armies defeated the Athenians and the war ends.
- 775The Battle of Bagrevand puts an end to an Armenian rebellion against the Abbasid Caliphate. Muslim control over Transcaucasia is solidified and its Islamization begins, while several major Armenian nakharar families lose power and their remnants flee to the Byzantine Empire.
- 799After mistreatment and disfigurement by the citizens of Rome, pope Leo III flees to the Frankish court of king Charlemagne at Paderborn for protection.
- 1134The name Zagreb was mentioned for the first time in the Felician Charter relating to the establishment of the Zagreb Bishopric around 1094.
- 1607Eighty Years’ War: The Dutch fleet destroys the anchored Spanish fleet at Gibraltar.
- 1644The Chongzhen Emperor, the last Emperor of Ming dynasty China, commits suicide during a peasant rebellion led by Li Zicheng.
- 1707A coalition of England, the Netherlands and Portugal is defeated by a Franco-Spanish army at Almansa (Spain) in the War of the Spanish Succession.
- 1792Highwayman Nicolas J. Pelletier becomes the first person executed by guillotine.
- 1792“La Marseillaise” (the French national anthem) is composed by Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle.
- 1804The western Georgian kingdom of Imereti accepts the suzerainty of the Russian Empire
- 1829Charles Fremantle arrives in HMS Challenger off the coast of modern-day Western Australia prior to declaring the Swan River Colony for the United Kingdom.
- 1846Thornton Affair: Open conflict begins over the disputed border of Texas, triggering the Mexican–American War.
- 1847The last survivors of the Donner Party are out of the wilderness.
- 1849The Governor General of Canada, Lord Elgin, signs the Rebellion Losses Bill, outraging Montreal’s English population and triggering the Montreal Riots.
- 1859British and French engineers break ground for the Suez Canal.
- 1862American Civil War: Forces under Union Admiral David Farragut demand the surrender of the Confederate city of New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Marks’ Mills.
- 1882Tonkin Campaign: French and Vietnamese troops clashed in Tonkin, when Commandant Henri Rivière seized the citadel of Hanoi with a small force of marine infantry.
- 1898Spanish–American War: The United States declares war on Spain.
- 1901New York becomes the first U.S. state to require automobile license plates.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)