The following events took place on April 26. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 41 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1336Francesco Petrarca (Petrarch) ascends Mont Ventoux.
- 1478The Pazzi attack Lorenzo de' Medici and kill his brother Giuliano during High Mass in the Duomo of Florence.
- 1564Playwright William Shakespeare is baptized in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England (date of actual birth is unknown).
- 1607English colonists make landfall at Cape Henry, Virginia.
- 1721A massive earthquake devastates the Iranian city of Tabriz.
- 1802Napoleon Bonaparte signs a general amnesty to allow all but about one thousand of the most notorious émigrés of the French Revolution to return to France, as part of a reconciliary gesture with the factions of the Ancien Régime and to eventually consolidate his own rule.
- 1803Thousands of meteor fragments fall from the skies of L'Aigle, France; the event convinces European scientists that meteors exist.
- 1805First Barbary War: United States Marines captured Derne under the command of First Lieutenant Presley O'Bannon.
- 1865American Civil War: Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston surrenders his army to General William Tecumseh Sherman at the Bennett Place near Durham, North Carolina. Also the date of Confederate Memorial Day for two states.
- 1865Union cavalry troopers corner and shoot dead John Wilkes Booth, assassin of President Lincoln, in Virginia.
- 1903Atlético Madrid Association football club is founded
- 1923The Duke of York weds Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon at Westminster Abbey.
- 1925Paul von Hindenburg defeats Wilhelm Marx in the second round of the German presidential election to become the first directly elected head of state of the Weimar Republic.
- 1933The Gestapo, the official secret police force of Nazi Germany, is established.
- 1937Spanish Civil War: Guernica (or Gernika in Basque), Spain is bombed by German Luftwaffe.
- 1942Benxihu Colliery accident in Manchukuo leaves 1549 Chinese miners dead.
- 1943The Easter Riots break out in Uppsala, Sweden.
- 1944Georgios Papandreou becomes head of the Greek government-in-exile based in Egypt.
- 1944Heinrich Kreipe is captured by Allied commandos in occupied Crete.
- 1945World War II: Battle of Bautzen: Last successful German tank-offensive of the war and last noteworthy victory of the Wehrmacht.
- 1945World War II: Filipino troops of the 66th Infantry Regiment, Philippine Commonwealth Army, USAFIP-NL and the American troops of the 33rd and 37th Infantry Division, United States Army are liberated in Baguio City and they fight against the Japanese forces under General Tomoyuki Yamashita.
- 1954The Geneva Conference, an effort to restore peace in Indochina and Korea, begins.
- 1956SS Ideal X, the world’s first successful container ship, leaves Port Newark, New Jersey for Houston, Texas.
- 1958Final run of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad’s Royal Blue from Washington, D.C., to New York City after 68 years, the first U.S. passenger train to use electric locomotives.
- 1960Forced out by the April Revolution, President of South Korea Syngman Rhee resigns after twelve years of dictatorial rule.
- 1962NASA’s Ranger 4 spacecraft crashes into the Moon.
- 1963In Libya, amendments to the constitution transform Libya (United Kingdom of Libya) into one national unity (Kingdom of Libya) and allows for female participation in elections.
- 1964Tanganyika and Zanzibar merge to form Tanzania.
- 1965A Rolling Stones concert in London, Ontario is shut down by police after 15 minutes due to rioting.
- 1966An earthquake of magnitude 7.5 destroys Tashkent.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Shelley’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)