The following events took place on April 27. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 59 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 33 BCLucius Marcius Philippus, step-brother to the future emperor Augustus, celebrates a triumph for his victories while serving as governor in one of the provinces of Hispania.
- 395Emperor Arcadius marries Aelia Eudoxia, daughter of the Frankish general Flavius Bauto. She becomes one of the more powerful Roman empresses of Late Antiquity.
- 629Shahrbaraz is crowned as king of the Sasanian Empire.
- 711Islamic conquest of Hispania: Moorish troops led by Tariq ibn Ziyad land at Gibraltar to begin their invasion of the Iberian Peninsula (Al-Andalus).
- 1296First War of Scottish Independence: John Balliol’s Scottish army is defeated by an English army commanded by John de Warenne, 6th Earl of Surrey at the Battle of Dunbar.
- 1509Pope Julius II places the Italian state of Venice under interdict.
- 1521Battle of Mactan: Explorer Ferdinand Magellan is killed by natives in the Philippines led by chief Lapu-Lapu.
- 1522Combined forces of Spain and the Papal States defeat a French and Venetian army at the Battle of Bicocca.
- 1539Re-founding of the city of Bogotá, New Granada (now Colombia), by Nikolaus Federmann and Sebastián de Belalcázar.
- 1565Cebu is established becoming the first Spanish settlement in the Philippines.
- 1578Duel of the Mignons claims the lives of two favourites of Henry III of France and two favorites of Henry I, Duke of Guise.
- 1595The relics of Saint Sava are incinerated in Belgrade by the Ottomans, where today the largest Orthodox church building in the world stands
- 1650The Battle of Carbisdale: A Royalist army from Orkney invades mainland Scotland but is defeated by a Covenanter army.
- 1667The blind and impoverished John Milton sells the copyright of Paradise Lost for £10.
- 1749First performance of George Frideric Handel’s Music for the Royal Fireworks in Green Park, London.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: The Battle of Ridgefield: A British invasion force engages and defeats Continental Army regulars and militia irregulars at Ridgefield, Connecticut.
- 1805First Barbary War: United States Marines and Berbers attack the Tripolitan city of Derna (The “shores of Tripoli” part of the Marines’ Hymn).
- 1810Beethoven composes Für Elise.
- 1813War of 1812: American troops capture the capital of Upper Canada in the Battle of York (present day Toronto, Canada).
- 1840Foundation stone for new Palace of Westminster, London, is laid by wife of Sir Charles Barry.
- 1861American President Abraham Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus.
- 1865The New York State Senate creates Cornell University as the state’s land grant institution.
- 1865The steamboat Sultana, carrying 2,400 passengers, explodes and sinks in the Mississippi River, killing 1,800, most of whom are Union survivors of the Andersonville and Cahaba Prisons.
- 1904The Australian Labor Party becomes the first such party to gain national government, under Chris Watson.
- 1909Sultan of Ottoman Empire Abdul Hamid II is overthrown, and is succeeded by his brother, Mehmed V.
- 1911Following the resignation and death of William P. Frye, a compromise is reached to rotate the office of President pro tempore of the United States Senate.
- 1914Honduras becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires copyright treaty.
- 1927Carabineros de Chile (Chilean national police force and gendarmerie) are created.
- 1936The United Auto Workers (UAW) gains autonomy from the American Federation of Labor.
- 1941World War II: German troops enter Athens.
Curious about this Yellow Bubble Ball? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!