The following events took place on April 29. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1091Battle of Levounion: The Pechenegs are defeated by Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos.
- 1386Battle of the Vikhra River: The Principality of Smolensk is defeated by the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and becomes its vassal.
- 1429Joan of Arc arrives to relieve the Siege of Orléans.
- 1483Gran Canaria, the main island of the Canary Islands is conquered by the Kingdom of Castile.
- 1521Swedish War of Liberation: Swedish troops under Gustav Vasa defeat a Danish force under Didrik Slagheck in the Battle of Västerås and soon capture the city of Västerås. The Danish-held castle, however, does not surrender to the Swedes until 31 January the following year, after a nine-month siege.
- 1770James Cook arrives at and names Botany Bay, Australia.
- 1781American Revolutionary War: British and French ships clash in the Battle of Fort Royal off the coast of Martinique.
- 1832Évariste Galois is released from prison.
- 1861American Civil War: Maryland’s House of Delegates votes not to secede from the Union.
- 1862American Civil War: New Orleans falls to Union forces under Admiral David Farragut.
- 1864Theta Xi fraternity is founded at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the only fraternity to be founded during the American Civil War.
- 1882The “Elektromote”, forerunner of the trolleybus, is tested by Ernst Werner von Siemens in Berlin.
- 1903A 30 million cubic-metre landslide kills 70 in Frank, North-West Territories, Canada.
- 1910The Parliament of the United Kingdom passes the People’s Budget, the first budget in British history with the expressed intent of redistributing wealth among the British public.
- 1916World War I: The British 6th Indian Division surrenders to Ottoman Forces at the Siege of Kut in one of the largest surrenders of British forces up to that point.
- 1916Easter Rising: Martial law in Ireland is lifted and the rebellion is officially over with the surrender of Irish nationalists to British authorities in Dublin.
- 1944World War II: British agent Nancy Wake, a leading figure in the French Resistance and the Gestapo’s most wanted person, parachutes back into France to become a liaison between London and the local maquis group.
- 1945World War II: The German army in Italy unconditionally surrenders to the Allies.
- 1945World War II: Start of Operation Manna.
- 1945World War II: The sclass- Captain HMS Goodall (K479) is torpedoed by U-286 outside the Kola Inlet becoming the last ship of the Royal Navy sunk in the European theatre of World War II.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)