The following events took place on April 4. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 57 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 503 BCAccording to the Fasti Triumphales, Roman consul Agrippa Menenius Lanatus celebrated a triumph for a military victory over the Sabines.
- 1147First historical record of Moscow.
- 1287King Wareru founds the Ramanya Kingdom, and proclaims independence from the Pagan Kingdom.
- 1581Francis Drake is knighted for completing a circumnavigation of the world.
- 1660Declaration of Breda by King Charles II of England.
- 1721Sir Robert Walpole takes office as the first Prime Minister of the United Kingdom under King George I.
- 1768In London, Philip Astley stages the first modern circus.
- 1796Georges Cuvier delivers his first paleontological lecture at École Centrale du Pantheon of the National Museum of Natural History on living and fossil remains of elephants and related species, founding the science of Paleontology.
- 1812United States President James Madison enacts a ninety-day embargo on trade with the United Kingdom.
- 1814Napoleon abdicates for the first time and names his son Napoleon II as Emperor of the French.
- 1818The United States Congress adopts the flag of the United States with 13 red and white stripes and one star for each state (then 20).
- 1841William Henry Harrison dies of pneumonia becoming the first President of the United States to die in office and with the shortest term served. Vice President John Tyler, becomes President upon Harrison’s death.
- 1850The Great Fire of Cottenham: A large part of the Cambridgeshire village (England) is burnt to the ground in suspicious circumstances.
- 1850Los Angeles is incorporated as a city.
- 1859Bryant’s Minstrels debut “Dixie” in New York City in the finale of a blackface minstrel show.
- 1865American Civil War: A day after Union forces capture Richmond, Virginia, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln visits the Confederate capital.
- 1866Alexander II of Russia narrowly escapes an assassination attempt by Dmitry Karakozov in the city of Saint Petersburg.
- 1873The Kennel Club is founded, the oldest and first official registry of purebred dogs in the world.
- 1887Argonia, Kansas elects Susanna M. Salter as the first female mayor in the United States.
- 1905In India, an earthquake hits the Kangra Valley, killing 20,000, and destroying most buildings in Kangra, McLeod Ganj and Dharamsala.
- 1913First Balkan War: Greek aviator Emmanouil Argyropoulos becomes the first pilot to die in the Hellenic Air Force when his plane crashes.
- 1925The Schutzstaffel (SS) is founded in Germany.
- 1930The Communist Party of Panama is founded.
- 1933U.S. Navy airship, USS Akron, is wrecked off the New Jersey coast due to severe weather.
- 1939Faisal II becomes King of Iraq.
- 1944World War II: First bombardment of oil refineries in Bucharest by Anglo-American forces kills 3000 civilians.
- 1945World War II: American troops liberate Ohrdruf forced labor camp in Germany.
- 1945World War II: American troops capture Kassel.
- 1945World War II: Soviet troops liberate Hungary from German occupation and occupy the country itself.
- 1949Twelve nations sign the North Atlantic Treaty creating the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)