The following events took place on April 5. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 823Lothair I is crowned King of Italy by Pope Paschal I.
- 1081Alexios I Komnenos is crowned Byzantine emperor at Constantinople, bringing the Komnenian dynasty to full power.
- 1242During the Battle on the Ice of Lake Peipus, Russian forces, led by Alexander Nevsky, rebuff an invasion attempt by the Teutonic Knights.
- 1536Royal Entry of Charles V into Rome: The last Roman triumph.
- 1566Two-hundred Dutch noblemen, led by Hendrick van Brederode, force themselves into the presence of Margaret of Parma and present the Petition of Compromise, denouncing the Spanish Inquisition in the Netherlands. The Inquisition is suspended and a delegation is sent to Spain to petition Philip II.
- 1609Daimyo (Lord) Shimazu Tadatsune of the Satsuma Domain in southern Kyūshū, Japan, completes his successful invasion of the Ryūkyū Kingdom in Okinawa.
- 1614In Virginia, Native American Pocahontas marries English colonist John Rolfe.
- 1621The Mayflower sets sail from Plymouth, Massachusetts on a return trip to England.
- 1710The Statute of Anne receives the Royal Assent establishing the Copyright law of the United Kingdom.
- 1722The Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen discovers Easter Island.
- 1792United States President George Washington exercises his authority to veto a bill, the first time this power is used in the United States.
- 1804High Possil meteorite: The first recorded meteorite in Scotland falls in Possil.
- 1818In the Battle of Maipú, Chile’s independence movement, led by Bernardo O'Higgins and José de San Martín, win a decisive victory over Spain, leaving 2,000 Spaniards and 1,000 Chilean patriots dead.
- 1847Birkenhead Park, the first civic public park in Britain, is opened in Birkenhead.
- 1862American Civil War: The Battle of Yorktown begins.
- 1879Chile declares war on Bolivia and Peru, starting the War of the Pacific.
- 1900Archaeologists in Knossos, Crete, discover a large cache of clay tablets with hieroglyphic writing in a script they call Linear B.
- 1904The first international rugby league match is played between England and an Other Nationalities team (Welsh & Scottish players) in Central Park, Wigan, England.
- 1915Boxing challenger Jess Willard knocks out Jack Johnson in Havana, Cuba to become the Heavyweight Champion of the World.
- 1922The American Birth Control League, forerunner of Planned Parenthood, is incorporated.
- 1923Firestone Tire and Rubber Company begins production of balloon-tires.
- 1932Alcohol prohibition in Finland ends. Alcohol sales begin in Alko liquor stores.
- 1932Dominion of Newfoundland: Ten thousand rioters seize the Colonial Building leading to the end of self-government.
- 1933U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs two executive orders: 6101 to establish the Civilian Conservation Corps, and 6102 “forbidding the Hoarding of Gold Coin, Gold Bullion, and Gold Certificates” by U.S. citizens.
- 1936Tupelo–Gainesville tornado outbreak: An F5 tornado kills 233 in Tupelo, Mississippi.
- 1942World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy launches a carrier-based air attack on Colombo, Ceylon during the Indian Ocean raid. Port and civilian facilities are damaged and the Royal Navy cruisers HMS Cornwall and HMS Dorsetshire are sunk southwest of the island.
- 1943World War II: American bomber aircraft accidentally cause more than 900 civilian deaths, including 209 children, and 1,300 wounded among the civilian population of the Belgian town of Mortsel. Their target was the Erla factory one kilometer from the residential area hit.
- 1944World War II: Two hundred seventy inhabitants of the Greek town of Kleisoura are executed by the Germans.
- 1945Cold War: Yugoslav leader Josip Broz Tito signs an agreement with the Soviet Union to allow “temporary entry of Soviet troops into Yugoslav territory”.
- 1946Soviet troops leave the island of Bornholm, Denmark after an 11-month occupation.
Curious about this Imperial Pink Mint? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!