The following events took place on April 7. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 63 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 397The wearing of barbarian clothing in the City of Rome is banned by the Emperor Honorius.
- 451Attila the Hun sacks the town of Metz and attacks other cities in Gaul.
- 529First draft of the Corpus Juris Civilis (a fundamental work in jurisprudence) is issued by Eastern Roman Emperor Justinian I.
- 611Maya king Uneh Chan of Calakmul sacks rival city-state Palenque in southern Mexico.
- 1141Empress Matilda became the first female ruler of England, adopting the title 'Lady of the English'.
- 1348Charles University is founded in Prague.
- 1521Ferdinand Magellan arrives at Cebu.
- 1541Francis Xavier leaves Lisbon on a mission to the Portuguese East Indies.
- 1724Premiere performance of Johann Sebastian Bach’s St John Passion BWV 245 at St. Nicholas Church, Leipzig.
- 1767End of Burmese–Siamese War (1765–67).
- 1776Captain John Barry and the USS Lexington captures the Edward.
- 1788American pioneers to the Northwest Territory arrive at the confluence of the Ohio and Muskingum rivers, establishing Marietta, Ohio, as the first permanent American settlement of the new United States in the Northwest Territory, and opening the westward expansion of the new country.
- 1789Selim III became Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and Caliph of Islam.
- 1798The Mississippi Territory is organized from disputed territory claimed by both the United States and Spain. It is expanded in 1804 and again in 1812.
- 1805Lewis and Clark Expedition: The Corps of Discovery breaks camp among the Mandan tribe and resumes its journey West along the Missouri River.
- 1805German composer Ludwig van Beethoven premiered his Third Symphony, at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna.
- 1827John Walker, an English chemist, sells the first friction match that he had invented the previous year.
- 1829Joseph Smith, founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, commences translation of the Book of Mormon, with Oliver Cowdery as his scribe.
- 1831Emperor Pedro I of Brazil resigns. He goes to his native Portugal to become King Pedro IV.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Shiloh ends: The Union Army under General Ulysses S. Grant defeats the Confederates near Shiloh, Tennessee.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)