The following events took place on August 1. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 55 events. Showing 31 - 55.
- 1937Josip Broz Tito reads the resolution “Manifesto of constitutional congress of KPH” to the constitutive congress of KPH (Croatian Communist Party) in woods near Samobor.
- 1944World War II: The Warsaw Uprising against the Nazi occupation breaks out in Warsaw, Poland.
- 1946Leaders of the Russian Liberation Army, a force of Russian prisoners of war that collaborated with Nazi Germany, are executed in Moscow, Soviet Union for treason.
- 1957The United States and Canada form the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).
- 1960Dahomey (later renamed Benin) declares independence from France.
- 1960Islamabad is declared the federal capital of the Government of Pakistan.
- 1961U.S. Defense Secretary Robert McNamara orders the creation of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), the nation’s first centralized military espionage organization.
- 1964The former Belgian Congo is renamed the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- 1966Charles Whitman kills 16 people at the University of Texas at Austin before being killed by the police.
- 1966Purges of intellectuals and imperialists becomes official China policy at the beginning of the Cultural Revolution.
- 1968The coronation is held of Hassanal Bolkiah, the 29th Sultan of Brunei.
- 1974Cyprus dispute: The United Nations Security Council authorizes the UNFICYP to create the “Green Line”, dividing Cyprus into two zones.
- 1975CSCE Final Act creates the Conference for Security and Co-operation in Europe.
- 1980Vigdís Finnbogadóttir is elected President of Iceland and becomes the world’s first democratically elected female head of state.
- 1980A train crash kills 18 people in County Cork, Ireland.
- 1981MTV begins broadcasting in the United States and airs its first video, “Video Killed the Radio Star” by The Buggles.
- 1984Commercial peat-cutters discover the preserved bog body of a man, called Lindow Man, at Lindow Moss, Cheshire, northwest England
- 1993The Great Mississippi and Missouri Rivers Flood of 1993 comes to a peak.
- 2001Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore has a Ten Commandments monument installed in the judiciary building, leading to a lawsuit to have it removed and his own removal from office.
- 2004A supermarket fire kills 396 people and injures 500 others in Asunción, Paraguay.
- 2007The I-35W Mississippi River bridge spanning the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota, collapses during the evening rush hour.
- 2008The Beijing–Tianjin Intercity Railway begins operation as the fastest commuter rail system in the world.
- 2008Eleven mountaineers from international expeditions died on K2, the second-highest mountain on Earth in the worst single accident in the history of K2 mountaineering.
- 2010Convention on Cluster Munitions enters into force.
- 2014Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence enters into force.
Curious about this Vanilla Candy Surprise? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!