The following events took place on August 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 42 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 3114 BCThe Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, used by several pre-Columbian Mesoamerican civilizations, notably the Mayans, begins.
- 2492 BCTraditional date of the defeat of Bel by Hayk, progenitor and founder of the Armenian nation.
- 106The south-western part of Dacia (modern Romania) becomes a Roman province: Roman Dacia.
- 355Claudius Silvanus, accused of treason, proclaims himself Roman Emperor against Constantius II.
- 490Battle of Adda: The Goths under Theodoric the Great and his ally Alaric II defeat the forces of Odoacer on the Adda River, near Milan.
- 1332Wars of Scottish Independence: Battle of Dupplin Moor: Scots under Domhnall II, Earl of Mar are routed by Edward Balliol.
- 1473The Battle of Otlukbeli: Mehmed the Conqueror of the Ottoman Empire decisively defeats Uzun Hassan of Aq Qoyunlu.
- 1675Franco-Dutch War: Forces of the Holy Roman Empire defeat the French in the Battle of Konzer Brücke.
- 1786Captain Francis Light establishes the British colony of Penang in Malaysia.
- 1804Francis II assumes the title of first Emperor of Austria.
- 1812Peninsular War: French troops engage British-Portuguese forces in the Battle of Majadahonda.
- 1813In Colombia, Juan del Corral declares the independence of Antioquia.
- 1858The Eiger in the Bernese Alps is ascended for the first time by Charles Barrington accompanied by Christian Almer and Peter Bohren.
- 1898Spanish–American War: American troops enter the city of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.
- 1918World War I: The Battle of Amiens ends.
- 1919The constitution of the Weimar Republic is adopted.
- 1920The Latvian–Soviet Peace Treaty, which relinquished Russia’s authority and pretenses to Latvia, is signed, ending the Latvian War of Independence.
- 1929Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 1934The first civilian prisoners arrive at the Federal prison on Alcatraz Island.
- 1942Actress Hedy Lamarr and composer George Antheil receive a patent for a Frequency-hopping spread spectrum communication system that later became the basis for modern technologies in wireless telephones and Wi-Fi.
- 1945Poles in Kraków engage in a pogrom against Jews in the city, killing one and wounding five.
- 1947Muhammad Ali Jinnah, founding father of Pakistan, gives a speech to the Constituent Assembly, the contents and meaning of which remain contentious today.
- 1949United Nations Security Council Resolution 72 and 73 are adopted on Palestinian question.
- 1952Hussein bin Talal is proclaimed King of Jordan.
- 1959Sheremetyevo International Airport, the second-largest airport in Russia, opens.
- 1960Chad declares independence.
- 1961The former Portuguese territories in India of Dadra and Nagar Haveli are merged to create the Union Territory Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- 1962Vostok 3 launches from the Baikonur Cosmodrome and cosmonaut Andrian Nikolayev becomes the first person to float in microgravity.
- 1965Race riots (the Watts Riots) begin in the Watts area of Los Angeles, California.
- 1968The last steam hauled train runs on British Rail
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)