The following events took place on August 12. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1099First Crusade: Battle of Ascalon Crusaders under the command of Godfrey of Bouillon defeat Fatimid forces led by Al-Afdal Shahanshah. This is considered the last engagement of the First Crusade.
- 1121Battle of Didgori: The Georgian army under King David IV wins a decisive victory over the famous Seljuk commander Ilghazi.
- 1164Battle of Harim: Nur ad-Din Zangi defeats the Crusader armies of the County of Tripoli and the Principality of Antioch.
- 1323Signature of the Treaty of Nöteborg between Sweden and Novgorod (Russia), that regulates the border between the two countries for the first time.
- 1499First engagement of the Battle of Zonchio between Venetian and Ottoman fleets.
- 1624The president of Louis XIII of France’s royal council is arrested, leaving Cardinal Richelieu in the role of the King’s principal minister.
- 1676Praying Indian John Alderman shoots and kills Metacomet, the Wampanoag war chief, ending King Philip’s War.
- 1687Battle of Mohács: Charles of Lorraine defeats the Ottoman Empire.
- 1765Treaty of Allahabad is signed. The Treaty marks the political and constitutional involvement and the beginning of Company rule in India.
- 1793The Rhône and Loire départments are created when the former département of Rhône-et-Loire is split into two.
- 1806Santiago de Liniers, 1st Count of Buenos Aires re-takes the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina after the first British invasion.
- 1831French intervention forces William I of the Netherlands to abandon his attempt to suppress the Belgian Revolution.
- 1851Isaac Singer is granted a patent for his sewing machine.
- 1877Asaph Hall discovers the Mars moon Deimos.
- 1883The last quagga dies at the Artis Magistra zoo in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- 1898An Armistice ends the Spanish–American War.
- 1898The Hawaiian flag is lowered from ʻIolani Palace in an elaborate annexation ceremony and replaced with the flag of the United States to signify the transfer of sovereignty from the Republic of Hawaii to the United States.
- 1914World War I: The United Kingdom declares war on Austria-Hungary; the countries of the British Empire follow suit.
- 1914World War I: The Battle of Haelen a.k.a. (Battle of the Silver Helmets) a clash between large Belgian and German cavalry formations at Halen, Belgium.
- 1944Waffen-SS troops massacre 560 people in Sant'Anna di Stazzema.
STOP! Are you ready to solve your biggest career problem? First, you need to find out what’s preventing you to move forward in your career. Unlock your potential for success with the Career Analysis report. Get a free sample – no obligation to buy!