The following events took place on August 12. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 21 - 40.
- 1944Nazi German troops end the week-long Wola massacre, during which time at least 40,000 people were killed indiscriminately or in mass executions.
- 1944Alençon is liberated by General Philippe Leclerc de Hauteclocque, the first city in France to be liberated from the Nazis by French forces.
- 1947United Nations Security Council Resolution 29 relating to UN membership of Yemen and Pakistan is adopted.
- 1948USS Nevada is struck from the naval record.
- 1950Korean War: Bloody Gulch massacre—American POWs are massacred by North Korean Army.
- 1952The Night of the Murdered Poets: Thirteen prominent Jewish intellectuals are murdered in Moscow, Russia, Soviet Union.
- 1953Nuclear weapons testing: The Soviet atomic bomb project continues with the detonation of Joe 4, the first Soviet thermonuclear weapon.
- 1953The islands of Zakynthos and Kefalonia in Greece are severely damaged by an earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Richter scale.
- 1958Art Kane photographs 57 notable jazz musicians in the black and white group portrait “A Great Day in Harlem” in front of a Brownstone in New York City.
- 1960Echo 1A, NASA’s first successful communications satellite, is launched.
- 1964South Africa is banned from the Olympic Games due to the country’s racist policies.
- 1964Charlie Wilson, one of the Great Train Robbers, escapes from Winson Green Prison in Birmingham, England, United Kingdom.
- 1969Violence erupts after the Apprentice Boys of Derry march in Derry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom resulting in a three-day communal riot known as the Battle of the Bogside.
- 1976Between 1,000 and 3,500 Palestinians are killed in the Tel al-Zaatar massacre, one of the bloodiest events of the Lebanese Civil War
- 1977The first free flight of the Space Shuttle Enterprise.
- 1977The 1977 riots in Sri Lanka, targeting the minority Sri Lankan Tamil people, begin, less than a month after the United National Party came to power. Over 300 Tamils are killed.
- 1978The Treaty of Peace and Friendship between Japan and the People’s Republic of China is signed.
- 1980The Montevideo Treaty, establishing the Latin American Integration Association, is signed.
- 1981The IBM Personal Computer is released.
- 1982Mexico announces that it is unable to pay its enormous external debt, marking the beginning of a debt crisis that spreads to all of Latin America and the Third World.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)