The following events took place on August 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 29 BCOctavian holds the first of three consecutive triumphs in Rome to celebrate the victory over the Dalmatian tribes.
- 523John I becomes the new Pope after the death of Pope Hormisdas.
- 554Emperor Justinian I rewards Liberius for his long and distinguished service in the Pragmatic Sanction, granting him extensive estates in Italy.
- 582Maurice becomes Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire.
- 900Count Reginar I of Hainault rises against Zwentibold of Lotharingia and slays him near present-day Susteren.
- 1099Pope Paschal II succeeds Pope Urban II as the 160th pope.
- 1516The Treaty of Noyon between France and Spain is signed. Francis I of France recognizes Charles’s claim to Naples, and Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, recognizes Francis’s claim to Milan.
- 1521After an extended siege, forces led by Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés capture Tlatoani Cuauhtémoc and conquer the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan.
- 1532Union of Brittany and France: The Duchy of Brittany is absorbed into the Kingdom of France.
- 1536Buddhist monks from Kyoto, Japan’s Enryaku-ji temple set fire to 21 Nichiren temples throughout in what will be known as the Tenbun Hokke Disturbance. (Traditional Japanese date: July 27, 1536).
- 1553Michael Servetus is arrested by John Calvin in Geneva, Switzerland as a heretic.
- 1624The French king Louis XIII appoints Cardinal Richelieu as prime minister
- 1704War of the Spanish Succession: Battle of Blenheim – English and Imperial forces are victorious over French and Bavarian troops.
- 1779American Revolutionary War: The Royal Navy defeats the Penobscot Expedition with the most significant loss of United States naval forces prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor.
- 1792King Louis XVI of France is formally arrested by the National Tribunal, and declared an enemy of the people.
- 1806Battle of Mišar during the Serbian Revolution begins. The battle will end two days later, with a decisive Serbian victory over the Ottomans.
- 1814The Convention of London, a treaty between the United Kingdom and the United Provinces, is signed in London, England.
- 1831Nat Turner sees a solar eclipse, which he believes is a sign from God. Eight days later he and 70 other slaves kill approximately 55 whites in Southampton County, Virginia.
- 1868A massive earthquake near Arica, Peru, causes an estimated 25,000 casualties, and the subsequent tsunami causes considerable damage as far away as Hawaii and New Zealand.
- 1876The premiere of Wagner’s Ring Cycle, at the recently completed Bayreuth Festspielhaus, was performed over the next several days.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)