The following events took place on August 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 29 BCOctavian holds the first of three consecutive triumphs in Rome to celebrate the victory over the Dalmatian tribes.
- 523John I becomes the new Pope after the death of Pope Hormisdas.
- 554Emperor Justinian I rewards Liberius for his long and distinguished service in the Pragmatic Sanction, granting him extensive estates in Italy.
- 582Maurice becomes Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire.
- 900Count Reginar I of Hainault rises against Zwentibold of Lotharingia and slays him near present-day Susteren.
- 1099Pope Paschal II succeeds Pope Urban II as the 160th pope.
- 1516The Treaty of Noyon between France and Spain is signed. Francis I of France recognizes Charles’s claim to Naples, and Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, recognizes Francis’s claim to Milan.
- 1521After an extended siege, forces led by Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés capture Tlatoani Cuauhtémoc and conquer the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan.
- 1532Union of Brittany and France: The Duchy of Brittany is absorbed into the Kingdom of France.
- 1536Buddhist monks from Kyoto, Japan’s Enryaku-ji temple set fire to 21 Nichiren temples throughout in what will be known as the Tenbun Hokke Disturbance. (Traditional Japanese date: July 27, 1536).
- 1553Michael Servetus is arrested by John Calvin in Geneva, Switzerland as a heretic.
- 1624The French king Louis XIII appoints Cardinal Richelieu as prime minister
- 1704War of the Spanish Succession: Battle of Blenheim – English and Imperial forces are victorious over French and Bavarian troops.
- 1779American Revolutionary War: The Royal Navy defeats the Penobscot Expedition with the most significant loss of United States naval forces prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor.
- 1792King Louis XVI of France is formally arrested by the National Tribunal, and declared an enemy of the people.
- 1806Battle of Mišar during the Serbian Revolution begins. The battle will end two days later, with a decisive Serbian victory over the Ottomans.
- 1814The Convention of London, a treaty between the United Kingdom and the United Provinces, is signed in London, England.
- 1831Nat Turner sees a solar eclipse, which he believes is a sign from God. Eight days later he and 70 other slaves kill approximately 55 whites in Southampton County, Virginia.
- 1868A massive earthquake near Arica, Peru, causes an estimated 25,000 casualties, and the subsequent tsunami causes considerable damage as far away as Hawaii and New Zealand.
- 1876The premiere of Wagner’s Ring Cycle, at the recently completed Bayreuth Festspielhaus, was performed over the next several days.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)