The following events took place on August 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 29 BCOctavian holds the first of three consecutive triumphs in Rome to celebrate the victory over the Dalmatian tribes.
- 523John I becomes the new Pope after the death of Pope Hormisdas.
- 554Emperor Justinian I rewards Liberius for his long and distinguished service in the Pragmatic Sanction, granting him extensive estates in Italy.
- 582Maurice becomes Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire.
- 900Count Reginar I of Hainault rises against Zwentibold of Lotharingia and slays him near present-day Susteren.
- 1099Pope Paschal II succeeds Pope Urban II as the 160th pope.
- 1516The Treaty of Noyon between France and Spain is signed. Francis I of France recognizes Charles’s claim to Naples, and Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, recognizes Francis’s claim to Milan.
- 1521After an extended siege, forces led by Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés capture Tlatoani Cuauhtémoc and conquer the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan.
- 1532Union of Brittany and France: The Duchy of Brittany is absorbed into the Kingdom of France.
- 1536Buddhist monks from Kyoto, Japan’s Enryaku-ji temple set fire to 21 Nichiren temples throughout in what will be known as the Tenbun Hokke Disturbance. (Traditional Japanese date: July 27, 1536).
- 1553Michael Servetus is arrested by John Calvin in Geneva, Switzerland as a heretic.
- 1624The French king Louis XIII appoints Cardinal Richelieu as prime minister
- 1704War of the Spanish Succession: Battle of Blenheim – English and Imperial forces are victorious over French and Bavarian troops.
- 1779American Revolutionary War: The Royal Navy defeats the Penobscot Expedition with the most significant loss of United States naval forces prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor.
- 1792King Louis XVI of France is formally arrested by the National Tribunal, and declared an enemy of the people.
- 1806Battle of Mišar during the Serbian Revolution begins. The battle will end two days later, with a decisive Serbian victory over the Ottomans.
- 1814The Convention of London, a treaty between the United Kingdom and the United Provinces, is signed in London, England.
- 1831Nat Turner sees a solar eclipse, which he believes is a sign from God. Eight days later he and 70 other slaves kill approximately 55 whites in Southampton County, Virginia.
- 1868A massive earthquake near Arica, Peru, causes an estimated 25,000 casualties, and the subsequent tsunami causes considerable damage as far away as Hawaii and New Zealand.
- 1876The premiere of Wagner’s Ring Cycle, at the recently completed Bayreuth Festspielhaus, was performed over the next several days.
- 1898Spanish–American War: Spanish and American forces engaged in a mock battle for Manila, after which the Spanish commander surrendered in order to keep the city out of Filipino rebel hands.
- 1898Carl Gustav Witt discovers 433 Eros, the first near-Earth asteroid to be found.
- 1906The all black infantrymen of the U.S. Army’s 25th Infantry Regiment are accused of killing a white bartender and wounding a white police officer in Brownsville, Texas, despite exculpatory evidence; all are later dishonorably discharged.
- 1913Otto Witte, an acrobat, is purportedly crowned King of Albania.
- 1913First production in the UK of stainless steel by Harry Brearley.
- 1918Women enlist in the United States Marine Corps for the first time. Opha May Johnson is the first woman to enlist.
- 1918Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW) established as a public company in Germany.
- 1920Polish–Soviet War: The Battle of Warsaw begins and will last till August 25. The Red Army is defeated.
- 1937The Battle of Shanghai begins.
- 1942Major General Eugene Reybold of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers authorizes the construction of facilities that would house the “Development of Substitute Materials” project, better known as the Manhattan Project.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)