The following events took place on August 14. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 55 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 29 BCOctavian holds the second of three consecutive triumphs in Rome to celebrate the victory over the Dalmatian tribes.
- 1040King Duncan I is killed in battle against his first cousin and rival Macbeth. The latter succeeds him as King of Scotland.
- 1183Taira no Munemori and the Taira clan take the young Emperor Antoku and the three sacred treasures and flee to western Japan to escape pursuit by the Minamoto clan (traditional Japanese date: Twenty-fifth Day of the Seventh Month of the Second Year of Juei).
- 1288Count Adolf VIII of Berg grants town privileges to Düsseldorf, the village on the banks of the Düssel.
- 1352War of the Breton Succession: Anglo-Bretons defeat the French in the Battle of Mauron.
- 1370Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor, grants city privileges to Carlsbad which is subsequently named after him.
- 1385Portuguese Crisis of 1383–85: Battle of Aljubarrota – Portuguese forces commanded by King John I and his general Nuno Álvares Pereira defeat the Castilian army of King John I.
- 1415Henry the Navigator leads Portuguese forces to victory over the Marinids at the Battle of Ceuta.
- 1480Battle of Otranto: Ottoman troops behead 800 Christians for refusing to convert to Islam; they are later honored in the Church.
- 1592Imjin War: At the Battle of Hansan Island, the Korean Navy, led by Yi Sun-sin, Yi Eok-gi, and Won Gyun, decisively defeats the Japanese Navy, led by Wakisaka Yasuharu, at Hansan Island.
- 1598Nine Years’ War: Battle of the Yellow Ford: Irish forces under Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, defeat an English expeditionary force under Henry Bagenal.
- 1720The Spanish military Villasur expedition is wiped out by Pawnee and Otoe warriors near present-day Columbus, Nebraska.
- 1816The United Kingdom formally annexed the Tristan da Cunha archipelago, administering them from the Cape Colony in South Africa.
- 1842American Indian Wars: Second Seminole War ends, with the Seminoles forced from Florida to Oklahoma.
- 1848Oregon Territory is organized by act of Congress.
- 1880Construction of Cologne Cathedral, the most famous landmark in Cologne, Germany, is completed.
- 1885Japan’s first patent is issued to the inventor of a rust-proof paint.
- 1888An audio recording of English composer Arthur Sullivan’s “The Lost Chord”, one of the first recordings of music ever made, is played during a press conference introducing Thomas Edison’s phonograph in London, England.
- 1893France becomes the first country to introduce motor vehicle registration.
- 1897Franco-Hova Wars: The town of Anosimena is captured by French troops from Menabe defenders in Madagascar.
- 1900The Eight-Nation Alliance occupies Beijing, China, in a campaign to end the bloody Boxer Rebellion in China.
- 1901The first claimed powered flight, by Gustave Whitehead in his Number 21.
- 1911United States Senate leaders agree to rotate the office of President pro tempore of the Senate among leading candidates to fill the vacancy left by William P. Frye’s death.
- 1912U.S. Marines invade Nicaragua to support the U.S.-backed government installed there after José Santos Zelaya had resigned three years earlier.
- 1914World War I: Start of the Battle of Lorraine, an unsuccessful French offensive designed to recover the lost province of Moselle from Germany.
- 1916Romania declares war on Austria-Hungary, joining the Entente in World War I.
- 1921Tannu Uriankhai, later Tuvan People’s Republic is established as a completely independent country (which is supported by Soviet Russia).
- 1933Loggers cause a forest fire in the Coast Range of Oregon, later known as the first forest fire of the Tillamook Burn. It is extinguished on September 5, after destroying 240,000 acre.
- 1935Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Social Security Act, creating a government pension system for the retired.
- 1936Rainey Bethea is hanged in Owensboro, Kentucky in the last public execution in the United States.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)