The following events took place on August 19. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 56 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 295 BCThe first temple to Venus, the Roman goddess of love, beauty and fertility, is dedicated by Quintus Fabius Maximus Gurges during the Third Samnite War.
- 43 BCGaius Julius Caesar Octavianus, later known as Augustus, compels the Roman Senate to elect him Consul.
- 1153Baldwin III of Jerusalem takes control of the Kingdom of Jerusalem from his mother Melisende, and also captures Ascalon.
- 1504In Ireland, the Hiberno-Norman de Burghs (Burkes) and Anglo-Norman Fitzgeralds fight in the Battle of Knockdoe.
- 1561Mary, Queen of Scots, who was 18 years old, returns to Scotland after spending 13 years in France.
- 1612The “Samlesbury witches”, three women from the Lancashire village of Samlesbury, England, are put on trial, accused of practicing witchcraft, one of the most famous witch trials in British history.
- 1666Second Anglo-Dutch War: Rear Admiral Robert Holmes leads a raid on the Dutch island of Terschelling, destroying 150 merchant ships, an act later known as “Holmes’s Bonfire”.
- 1692Salem witch trials: In Salem, Province of Massachusetts Bay, five people, one woman and four men, including a clergyman, are executed after being convicted of witchcraft.
- 1745Prince Charles Edward Stuart raises his standard in Glenfinnan: The start of the Second Jacobite Rebellion, known as “the 45”.
- 1759Battle of Lagos Naval battle during the Seven Years’ War between Great Britain and France.
- 1768Saint Isaac’s Cathedral is founded in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
- 1772Gustav III of Sweden stages a coup d'état, in which he assumes power and enacts a new constitution that divides power between the Riksdag and the King.
- 1782American Revolutionary War: Battle of Blue Licks: The last major engagement of the war, almost ten months after the surrender of the British commander Charles Cornwallis following the Siege of Yorktown.
- 1812War of 1812: American frigate USS Constitution defeats the British frigate HMS Guerriere off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada earning the nickname “Old Ironsides”.
- 1813Gervasio Antonio de Posadas joins Argentina’s Second Triumvirate.
- 1839The French government announces that Louis Daguerre’s photographic process is a gift “free to the world”.
- 1848California Gold Rush: The New York Herald breaks the news to the East Coast of the United States of the gold rush in California (although the rush started in January).
- 1854The First Sioux War begins when United States Army soldiers kill Lakota chief Conquering Bear and in return are massacred.
- 1861First ascent of Weisshorn, fifth highest summit in the Alps.
- 1862American Indian Wars: During an uprising in Minnesota, Lakota warriors decide not to attack heavily-defended Fort Ridgely and instead turn to the settlement of New Ulm, killing white settlers along the way.
- 1895American frontier murderer and outlaw John Wesley Hardin is killed by an off-duty policeman in a saloon in El Paso, Texas.
- 1909The first automobile race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- 1914The Ottoman–Bulgarian alliance is signed in Sofia.
- 1919Afghanistan gains full independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1927Patriarch Sergius of Moscow proclaims the declaration of loyalty of the Russian Orthodox Church to the Soviet Union.
- 1934The first All-American Soap Box Derby is held in Dayton, Ohio.
- 1934The creation of the position Führer is approved by the German electorate with 89.9% of the popular vote.
- 1940First flight of the B-25 Mitchell medium bomber.
- 1942World War II: Operation Jubilee: The 2nd Canadian Infantry Division leads an amphibious assault by allied forces on Dieppe, France and fails, many Canadians are killed or captured. The operation was intended to develop and try new amphibious landing tactics for the coming full invasion in Normandy.
- 1944World War II: Liberation of Paris: Paris, France rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AVWMIA? Check your answers here: Word finder AVWMIA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)