The following events took place on August 2. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 42 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 338 BCA Macedonian army led by Philip II defeated the combined forces of Athens and Thebes in the Battle of Chaeronea, securing Macedonian hegemony in Greece and the Aegean.
- 216 BCSecond Punic War: Battle of Cannae: The Carthaginian army led by Hannibal defeats a numerically superior Roman army under command of consuls Lucius Aemilius Paullus and Gaius Terentius Varro.
- 461Majorian is arrested near Tortona (Northern Italy) and deposed by the Suebian general Ricimer as puppet emperor.
- 1274Edward I of England returns from the Ninth Crusade and is crowned King seventeen days later.
- 1343Olivier de Clisson is found guilty of treason and beheaded at Les Halles in Paris. As a result, his wife, Jeanne de Clisson, sold their holding, bought a fleet of ships, and took to the sea as a pirate to seek revenge against King Philip VI of France and the nobility.
- 1377Russian troops are defeated in the Battle on Pyana River.
- 1610Henry Hudson sails into what is now known as Hudson Bay thinking he had made it through the Northwest Passage and reached the Pacific Ocean.
- 1776The signing of the United States Declaration of Independence took place.
- 1790The first United States Census is conducted.
- 1798French Revolutionary Wars: The Battle of the Nile concludes in a British victory.
- 1830Charles X of France abdicates the throne in favor of his grandson Henri.
- 1869Japan’s samurai, farmer, artisan, merchant class system (Shinōkōshō) is abolished as part of the Meiji Restoration reforms. (Traditional Japanese date: June 25, 1869).
- 1870Tower Subway, the world’s first underground tube railway, opens in London, England, United Kingdom.
- 1873The Clay Street Hill Railroad begins operating the first cable car in San Francisco’s famous cable car system.
- 1897Anglo-Afghan War: The Siege of Malakand ends when a relief column is able to reach the British garrison in the Malakand states adjacent to India’s North West Frontier Province.
- 1903Fall of the Ottoman Empire: An unsuccessful uprising led by the Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization against Ottoman Turkey, also known as the Ilinden–Preobrazhenie Uprising, takes place.
- 1916World War I: Austrian sabotage causes the sinking of the Italian battleship Leonardo da Vinci in Taranto.
- 1918Japan announces that it is deploying troops to Siberia in the aftermath of World War I.
- 1918The first general strike in Canadian history takes place in Vancouver.
- 1922A typhoon hits Shantou, Republic of China killing more than 50,000 people.
- 1923Vice President Calvin Coolidge becomes U.S. President upon the death of President Warren G. Harding.
- 1932The positron (antiparticle of the electron) is discovered by Carl D. Anderson.
- 1934Gleichschaltung: Adolf Hitler becomes Führer of Germany following the death of President Paul von Hindenburg.
- 1937The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 is passed in America, the effect of which is to render marijuana and all its by-products illegal.
- 1939Albert Einstein and Leo Szilard write a letter to Franklin D. Roosevelt, urging him to begin the Manhattan Project to develop a nuclear weapon.
- 1943Rebellion in the Nazi death camp of Treblinka.
- 1943World War II: The Motor Torpedo Boat PT-109 is rammed by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri and sinks. Lt. John F. Kennedy, future U.S. President, saves all but two of his crew.
- 1944ASNOM: Birth of the Socialist Republic of Macedonia, celebrated as Day of the Republic in the Republic of Macedonia.
- 1944World War II: The largest trade convoy of the world wars arrives safely in the Western Approaches.
- 1945World War II: End of the Potsdam Conference.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Hunter’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)