The following events took place on August 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 58 events. Showing 21 - 40.
- 1848The United States annexes New Mexico.
- 1849The first air raid in history. Austria launches pilotless balloons against the city of Venice.
- 1851The first America’s Cup is won by the yacht America.
- 1864Twelve nations sign the First Geneva Convention.
- 1875The Treaty of Saint Petersburg between Japan and Russia is ratified, providing for the exchange of Sakhalin for the Kuril Islands.
- 1902Cadillac Motor Company is founded.
- 1902Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first President of the United States to ride in an automobile.
- 1910Korea is annexed by Japan with the signing of the Japan–Korea Treaty of 1910, beginning a period of Japanese rule of Korea that lasted until the end of World War II.
- 1922Michael Collins, Commander-in-chief of the Irish Free State Army, is shot dead during an Anti-Treaty ambush at Béal na Bláth, County Cork, during the Irish Civil War.
- 1932The BBC first experiments with television broadcasting. (See also Timeline of the BBC.)
- 1934Bill Woodfull of Australia becomes the only cricket captain to twice regain The Ashes.
- 1941World War II: German troops reach Leningrad, leading to the siege of Leningrad.
- 1942World War II: Brazil declares war on Germany and Italy.
- 1944World War II: Romania is captured by the Soviet Union.
- 1944World War II: Holocaust of Kedros in Crete by German forces
- 1949Queen Charlotte earthquake: Canada’s largest earthquake since the 1700 Cascadia earthquake
- 1950Althea Gibson becomes the first black competitor in international tennis.
- 1952The penal colony on Devil’s Island is permanently closed.
- 1961Ida Siekmann dies attempting to cross the Berlin Wall.
- 1962An attempt to assassinate French president Charles de Gaulle fails.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)