The following events took place on August 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 357Battle of Strasbourg: Julian, Caesar (deputy emperor) and supreme commander of the Roman army in Gaul, wins an important victory against the Alemanni at Strasbourg (Argentoratum).
- 766Emperor Constantine V humiliates nineteen high-ranking officials, after discovering a plot against him. He executes the leaders, Constantine Podopagouros and his brother Strategios.
- 1248The Dutch city of Ommen receives city rights and fortification rights from Otto III, the Archbishop of Utrecht.
- 1258Regent George Mouzalon and his brothers are killed during a coup headed by the aristocratic faction under, paving the way for its leader, Michael VIII Palaiologos, to ultimately usurp the throne of the Empire of Nicaea.
- 1537The Honourable Artillery Company, the oldest surviving regiment in the British Army, and the second most senior, is formed.
- 1580Battle of Alcântara. Spain defeats Portugal.
- 1609Galileo Galilei demonstrates his first telescope to Venetian lawmakers.
- 1630Portuguese forces are defeated by the Kingdom of Kandy at the Battle of Randeniwela in Sri Lanka.
- 1758Seven Years’ War: Frederick II of Prussia defeats the Russian army at the Battle of Zorndorf.
- 1768James Cook begins his first voyage.
- 1825Uruguay declares its independence from Brazil.
- 1830The Belgian Revolution begins.
- 1835The New York Sun perpetrates the Great Moon Hoax.
- 1875Captain Matthew Webb became the first person to swim across the English Channel, traveling from Dover, England, to Calais, France, in 22 hours.
- 1883France and Viet Nam sign the Treaty of Huế, recognizing a French protectorate over Annam and Tonkin.
- 1894Kitasato Shibasaburō discovers the infectious agent of the bubonic plague and publishes his findings in The Lancet.
- 1898Seven hundred Greek civilians, 17 British guards and the British Consul of Crete are killed by a Turkish mob in Heraklion, Greece.
- 1912The Kuomintang, the Chinese nationalist party, is founded.
- 1914World War I: The library of the Catholic University of Leuven is deliberately destroyed by the German Army. Hundreds of thousands of irreplaceable volumes and Gothic and Renaissance manuscripts are lost.
- 1916The United States National Park Service is created.
- 1920Polish–Soviet War: Battle of Warsaw, which began on August 13, ends with the Red Army’s defeat.
- 1921The first skirmishes of the Battle of Blair Mountain occur.
- 1933The Diexi earthquake strikes Mao County, Sichuan, China and kills 9,000 people.
- 1939The United Kingdom and Poland form a military alliance in which the UK promises to defend Poland in case of invasion by a foreign power.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea.
- 1942World War II: second day of the Battle of the Eastern Solomons. A Japanese naval transport convoy headed towards Guadalcanal is turned-back by an Allied air attack, losing one destroyer and one transport sunk, and one light cruiser heavily damaged.
- 1944World War II: Paris is liberated by the Allies.
- 1945Ten days after World War II ends with Japan announcing its surrender, armed supporters of the Chinese Communist Party kill U.S. intelligence officer John Birch, regarded by some of the American right as the first victim of the Cold War.
- 1948The House Un-American Activities Committee holds first-ever televised congressional hearing: “Confrontation Day” between Whittaker Chambers and Alger Hiss.
- 1950President Harry Truman orders the U.S. Army to seize control of the nation’s railroads to avert a strike.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)