The following events took place on August 27. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 42 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 410The sacking of Rome by the Visigoths ends after three days.
- 1172Henry the Young King and Margaret of France are crowned as junior king and queen of England.
- 1232The Formulary of Adjudications is promulgated by Regent Hōjō Yasutoki. (Traditional Japanese date: August 10, 1232)
- 1593Pierre Barrière fails in his attempt to assassinate King Henry IV of France.
- 1689The Treaty of Nerchinsk is signed by Russia and the Qing Empire (Julian calendar).
- 1776Battle of Long Island: In what is now Brooklyn, New York, British forces under General William Howe defeat Americans under General George Washington.
- 1793French Revolutionary Wars: The city of Toulon revolts against the French Republic and admits the British and Spanish fleets to seize its port, leading to the Siege of Toulon by French Revolutionary forces.
- 1798Wolfe Tone’s United Irish and French forces clash with the British Army in the Battle of Castlebar, part of the Irish Rebellion of 1798, resulting in the creation of the French puppet Republic of Connacht.
- 1810Napoleonic Wars: The French Navy defeats the British Royal Navy, preventing them from taking the harbour of Grand Port on Île de France.
- 1813French Emperor Napoleon I defeats a larger force of Austrians, Russians, and Prussians at the Battle of Dresden.
- 1828Uruguay is formally proclaimed independent at preliminary peace talks brokered by the United Kingdom between Brazil and Argentina during the Cisplatine War.
- 1832Black Hawk, leader of the Sauk tribe of Native Americans, surrenders to U.S. authorities, ending the Black Hawk War.
- 1859Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world’s first commercially successful oil well.
- 1883Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change.
- 1896Anglo-Zanzibar War: The shortest war in world history (09:00 to 09:45), between the United Kingdom and Zanzibar.
- 1914Battle of Étreux: A British rearguard action by the Royal Munster Fusiliers during the Great Retreat.
- 1916The Kingdom of Romania declares war on Austria-Hungary, entering World War I as one of the Allied nations.
- 1918Mexican Revolution: Battle of Ambos Nogales: U.S. Army forces skirmish against Mexican Carrancistas and their German advisors in the only battle of World War I fought on American soil.
- 1921The British install the son of Sharif Hussein bin Ali (leader of the Arab Revolt of 1916 against the Ottoman Empire) as King Faisal I of Iraq.
- 1922Greco-Turkish War: The Turkish army takes the Aegean city of Afyonkarahisar from the Kingdom of Greece.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)