The following events took place on August 29. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 57 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 708Copper coins are minted in Japan for the first time (Traditional Japanese date: August 10, 708).
- 1261Pope Urban IV succeeds Pope Alexander IV as the 182nd pope.
- 1315Battle of Montecatini: The army of the Republic of Pisa, commanded by Uguccione della Faggiuola, wins a decisive victory against the joint forces of the Kingdom of Naples and the Republic of Florence despite being outnumbered.
- 1350Battle of Winchelsea (or Les Espagnols sur Mer): The English naval fleet under King Edward III defeats a Castilian fleet of 40 ships.
- 1475The Treaty of Picquigny ends a brief war between the kingdoms of France and England.
- 1484Pope Innocent VIII succeeds Pope Sixtus IV.
- 1498Vasco da Gama decides to depart Calicut and return to Kingdom of Portugal.
- 1521The Ottoman Turks capture Nándorfehérvár (Belgrade).
- 1526Battle of Mohács: The Ottoman Turks led by Suleiman the Magnificent defeat and kill the last Jagiellonian king of Hungary and Bohemia.
- 1541The Ottoman Turks capture Buda, the capital of the Hungarian Kingdom.
- 1728The city of Nuuk in Greenland is founded as the fort of Godt-Haab by the royal governor Claus Paarss.
- 1756Frederick the Great attacks Saxony, beginning the Seven Years’ War.
- 1758The first American Indian reservation is established, at Indian Mills, New Jersey.
- 1778American Revolutionary War: British and American forces battle indecisively at the Battle of Rhode Island.
- 1786Shays’ Rebellion, an armed uprising of Massachusetts farmers, begins in response to high debt and tax burdens.
- 1807British troops under Sir Arthur Wellesly defeat a Danish militia outside Copenhagen in the Battle of Køge.
- 1825Kingdom of Portugal recognizes the Independence of Brazil.
- 1831Michael Faraday discovers electromagnetic induction.
- 1842Treaty of Nanking signing ends the First Opium War.
- 1861American Civil War: United States Navy squadron captures forts at Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina.
- 1869The Mount Washington Cog Railway opens, making it the world’s first mountain-climbing rack railway.
- 1871Emperor Meiji orders the abolition of the han system and the establishment of prefectures as local centers of administration. (Traditional Japanese date: July 14, 1871).
- 1885Gottlieb Daimler patents the world’s first internal combustion motorcycle, the Reitwagen.
- 1895Rugby league is founded by 22 clubs at a meeting in the George Hotel, Huddersfield.
- 1898The Goodyear tire company is founded.
- 1903The Russian battleship Slava, the last of the five sclass- Borodinos, is launched.
- 1907The Quebec Bridge collapses during construction, killing 75 workers.
- 1910The Japan–Korea Treaty of 1910, also known as the Japan–Korea Annexation Treaty, becomes effective, officially starting the period of Japanese rule in Korea.
- 1911Ishi, considered the last Native American to make contact with European Americans, emerges from the wilderness of northeastern California.
- 1914Start of the Battle of St. Quentin in which the French Fifth Army counter-attacked the invading Germans at Saint-Quentin, Aisne.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Teresa’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)