The following events took place on August 29. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 57 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 708Copper coins are minted in Japan for the first time (Traditional Japanese date: August 10, 708).
- 1261Pope Urban IV succeeds Pope Alexander IV as the 182nd pope.
- 1315Battle of Montecatini: The army of the Republic of Pisa, commanded by Uguccione della Faggiuola, wins a decisive victory against the joint forces of the Kingdom of Naples and the Republic of Florence despite being outnumbered.
- 1350Battle of Winchelsea (or Les Espagnols sur Mer): The English naval fleet under King Edward III defeats a Castilian fleet of 40 ships.
- 1475The Treaty of Picquigny ends a brief war between the kingdoms of France and England.
- 1484Pope Innocent VIII succeeds Pope Sixtus IV.
- 1498Vasco da Gama decides to depart Calicut and return to Kingdom of Portugal.
- 1521The Ottoman Turks capture Nándorfehérvár (Belgrade).
- 1526Battle of Mohács: The Ottoman Turks led by Suleiman the Magnificent defeat and kill the last Jagiellonian king of Hungary and Bohemia.
- 1541The Ottoman Turks capture Buda, the capital of the Hungarian Kingdom.
- 1728The city of Nuuk in Greenland is founded as the fort of Godt-Haab by the royal governor Claus Paarss.
- 1756Frederick the Great attacks Saxony, beginning the Seven Years’ War.
- 1758The first American Indian reservation is established, at Indian Mills, New Jersey.
- 1778American Revolutionary War: British and American forces battle indecisively at the Battle of Rhode Island.
- 1786Shays’ Rebellion, an armed uprising of Massachusetts farmers, begins in response to high debt and tax burdens.
- 1807British troops under Sir Arthur Wellesly defeat a Danish militia outside Copenhagen in the Battle of Køge.
- 1825Kingdom of Portugal recognizes the Independence of Brazil.
- 1831Michael Faraday discovers electromagnetic induction.
- 1842Treaty of Nanking signing ends the First Opium War.
- 1861American Civil War: United States Navy squadron captures forts at Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina.
- 1869The Mount Washington Cog Railway opens, making it the world’s first mountain-climbing rack railway.
- 1871Emperor Meiji orders the abolition of the han system and the establishment of prefectures as local centers of administration. (Traditional Japanese date: July 14, 1871).
- 1885Gottlieb Daimler patents the world’s first internal combustion motorcycle, the Reitwagen.
- 1895Rugby league is founded by 22 clubs at a meeting in the George Hotel, Huddersfield.
- 1898The Goodyear tire company is founded.
- 1903The Russian battleship Slava, the last of the five sclass- Borodinos, is launched.
- 1907The Quebec Bridge collapses during construction, killing 75 workers.
- 1910The Japan–Korea Treaty of 1910, also known as the Japan–Korea Annexation Treaty, becomes effective, officially starting the period of Japanese rule in Korea.
- 1911Ishi, considered the last Native American to make contact with European Americans, emerges from the wilderness of northeastern California.
- 1914Start of the Battle of St. Quentin in which the French Fifth Army counter-attacked the invading Germans at Saint-Quentin, Aisne.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)