The following events took place on August 6. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1284The Republic of Pisa is defeated in the Battle of Meloria by the Republic of Genoa, thus losing its naval dominance in the Mediterranean.
- 1506The Grand Duchy of Lithuania defeated the Crimean Khanate in the Battle of Kletsk
- 1538Bogotá, Colombia, is founded by Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada.
- 1661The Treaty of The Hague is signed by Portugal and the Dutch Republic.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: The bloody Battle of Oriskany prevents American relief of the Siege of Fort Stanwix.
- 1787Sixty proof sheets of the Constitution of the United States are delivered to the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1806Francis II, the last Holy Roman Emperor, abdicates, ending the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1819Norwich University is founded in Vermont as the first private military school in the United States.
- 1824Battle of Junín Peru.
- 1825Bolivia gains independence from Spain.
- 1861The United Kingdom annexes Lagos, Nigeria.
- 1862American Civil War: The Confederate ironclad CSS Arkansas is scuttled on the Mississippi River after suffering catastrophic engine failure near Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: The Battle of Spicheren is fought, resulting in a Prussian victory.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: The Battle of Wörth results in a decisive Prussian victory.
- 1890At Auburn Prison in New York, murderer William Kemmler becomes the first person to be executed by electric chair.
- 1901Kiowa land in Oklahoma is opened for white settlement, effectively dissolving the contiguous reservation.
- 1912The Bull Moose Party meets at the Chicago Coliseum.
- 1914World War I: First Battle of the Atlantic: Two days after the United Kingdom had declared war on Germany over the German invasion of Belgium, ten German U-boats leave their base in Heligoland to attack Royal Navy warships in the North Sea.
- 1914World War I: Serbia declares war on Germany; Austria declares war on Russia.
- 1915World War I: Battle of Sari Bair: The Allies mount a diversionary attack timed to coincide with a major Allied landing of reinforcements at Suvla Bay.
- 1917World War I: Battle of Mărășești between the Romanian and German armies begins.
- 1926Gertrude Ederle becomes the first woman to swim across the English Channel.
- 1926In New York City, the Warner Bros.' Vitaphone system premieres with the movie Don Juan starring John Barrymore.
- 1930Judge Joseph Force Crater steps into a taxi in New York and disappears never to be seen again.
- 1940Estonia was illegally annexed by the Soviet Union.
- 1942Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands becomes the first reigning queen to address a joint session of the United States Congress.
- 1944The Warsaw Uprising occurs on August 1. It is brutally suppressed and all able-bodied men in Kraków are detained afterwards to prevent a similar uprising, the Kraków Uprising, that was planned but never carried out.
- 1945World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb “Little Boy” is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning.
- 1956After going bankrupt in 1955, the American broadcaster DuMont Television Network makes its final broadcast, a boxing match from St. Nicholas Arena in New York in the Boxing from St. Nicholas Arena series.
- 1960Cuban Revolution: Cuba nationalizes American and foreign-owned property in the nation.
Curious about this Rare Color Bubbles? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!