The following events took place on August 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 43 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1220Sweden is defeated by Estonian tribes in the Battle of Lihula.
- 1503King James IV of Scotland marries Margaret Tudor, daughter of King Henry VII of England at Holyrood Abbey in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 1576The cornerstone for Tycho Brahe’s Uraniborg observatory is laid on the island of Hven.
- 1585John Davis enters Cumberland Sound in search of the Northwest Passage.
- 1588Anglo-Spanish War: Battle of Gravelines: The naval engagement ends, ending the Spanish Armada’s attempt to invade England.
- 1605The city of Oulu, Finland, is founded by Charles IX of Sweden.
- 1647The Irish Confederate Wars and Wars of the Three Kingdoms: Battle of Dungan’s Hill: English Parliamentary forces defeat Irish forces.
- 1709Bartolomeu de Gusmão demonstrates the lifting power of hot air in an audience before the King of Portugal in Lisbon, Portugal
- 1786Mont Blanc on the French – Italian border is climbed for the first time by Jacques Balmat and Dr. Michel-Gabriel Paccard.
- 1793The insurrection of Lyon occurs during the French Revolution.
- 1794Joseph Whidbey leads an expedition to search for the Northwest Passage near Juneau, Alaska.
- 1844The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, headed by Brigham Young, is reaffirmed as the leading body of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).
- 1863American Civil War: Following his defeat in the Battle of Gettysburg, General Robert E. Lee sends a letter of resignation to Confederate President Jefferson Davis (which is refused upon receipt).
- 1870The Republic of Ploiești, a failed Radical-Liberal rising against Domnitor Carol of Romania.
- 1876Thomas Edison receives a patent for his mimeograph.
- 1885More than 1.5 million people attend the funeral of Ulysses S. Grant in New York City.
- 1908Wilbur Wright makes his first flight at a racecourse at Le Mans, France. It is the Wright Brothers’ first public flight.
- 1918World War I: The Battle of Amiens begins a string of almost continuous victories with a push through the German front lines (Hundred Days Offensive).
- 1927The predecessor to the Philippine Stock Exchange opens.
- 1929The German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)