The following events took place on August 9. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 36 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 48 BCCaesar’s Civil War: Battle of Pharsalus – Julius Caesar decisively defeats Pompey at Pharsalus and Pompey flees to Egypt.
- 378Gothic War: Battle of Adrianople – A large Roman army led by Emperor Valens is defeated by the Visigoths. Valens is killed along with over half of his army.
- 1173Construction of the campanile of the Cathedral of Pisa (now known as the Leaning Tower of Pisa) begins; it will take two centuries to complete.
- 1329Quilon, the first Indian Christian Diocese, is erected by Pope John XXII; the French-born Jordanus is appointed the first Bishop.
- 1483Opening of the Sistine Chapel in Rome with the celebration of a Mass.
- 1500Ottoman–Venetian War (1499–1503): The Ottomans capture Methoni, Messenia.
- 1610The First Anglo-Powhatan War begins in colonial Virginia.
- 1810Napoleon annexes Westphalia as part of the First French Empire.
- 1814Indian Wars: the Creek sign the Treaty of Fort Jackson, giving up huge parts of Alabama and Georgia.
- 1842The Webster–Ashburton Treaty is signed, establishing the United States–Canada border east of the Rocky Mountains.
- 1854Henry David Thoreau publishes Walden.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Cedar Mountain – At Cedar Mountain, Virginia, Confederate General Stonewall Jackson narrowly defeats Union forces under General John Pope.
- 1877Indian Wars: Battle of the Big Hole – A small band of Nez Percé Indians clash with the United States Army
- 1892Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way telegraph.
- 1902Edward VII and Alexandra of Denmark are crowned King and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1907The first Boy Scout encampment concludes at Brownsea Island in southern England.
- 1914Start of the Battle of Mulhouse, part of a French attempt to recover the province of Alsace and the first French offensive of World War I.
- 1925A train robbery takes place in Kakori, near Lucknow, India
- 1930Betty Boop makes her cartoon debut in Dizzy Dishes.
- 1936Summer Olympic Games: Games of the XI Olympiad – Jesse Owens wins his fourth gold medal at the games.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)