The following events took place on August 9. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 36 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 48 BCCaesar’s Civil War: Battle of Pharsalus – Julius Caesar decisively defeats Pompey at Pharsalus and Pompey flees to Egypt.
- 378Gothic War: Battle of Adrianople – A large Roman army led by Emperor Valens is defeated by the Visigoths. Valens is killed along with over half of his army.
- 1173Construction of the campanile of the Cathedral of Pisa (now known as the Leaning Tower of Pisa) begins; it will take two centuries to complete.
- 1329Quilon, the first Indian Christian Diocese, is erected by Pope John XXII; the French-born Jordanus is appointed the first Bishop.
- 1483Opening of the Sistine Chapel in Rome with the celebration of a Mass.
- 1500Ottoman–Venetian War (1499–1503): The Ottomans capture Methoni, Messenia.
- 1610The First Anglo-Powhatan War begins in colonial Virginia.
- 1810Napoleon annexes Westphalia as part of the First French Empire.
- 1814Indian Wars: the Creek sign the Treaty of Fort Jackson, giving up huge parts of Alabama and Georgia.
- 1842The Webster–Ashburton Treaty is signed, establishing the United States–Canada border east of the Rocky Mountains.
- 1854Henry David Thoreau publishes Walden.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Cedar Mountain – At Cedar Mountain, Virginia, Confederate General Stonewall Jackson narrowly defeats Union forces under General John Pope.
- 1877Indian Wars: Battle of the Big Hole – A small band of Nez Percé Indians clash with the United States Army
- 1892Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way telegraph.
- 1902Edward VII and Alexandra of Denmark are crowned King and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1907The first Boy Scout encampment concludes at Brownsea Island in southern England.
- 1914Start of the Battle of Mulhouse, part of a French attempt to recover the province of Alsace and the first French offensive of World War I.
- 1925A train robbery takes place in Kakori, near Lucknow, India
- 1930Betty Boop makes her cartoon debut in Dizzy Dishes.
- 1936Summer Olympic Games: Games of the XI Olympiad – Jesse Owens wins his fourth gold medal at the games.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)