The following events took place on December 14. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 557Constantinople is severely damaged by an earthquake.
- 835Sweet Dew Incident: Emperor Wenzong of the Tang dynasty conspires to kill the powerful eunuchs of the Tang court, but the plot is foiled.
- 1287St. Lucia’s flood: The Zuiderzee sea wall in the Netherlands collapses, killing over 50,000 people.
- 1542Princess Mary Stuart becomes Mary, Queen of Scots.
- 1751The Theresian Military Academy is founded as the first military academy in the world.
- 1782The Montgolfier brothers’ first balloon lifts off on its first test flight.
- 1812The French invasion of Russia comes to an end as the remnants of the Grande Armée are expelled from Russia.
- 1814War of 1812: The Royal Navy seizes control of Lake Borgne, Louisiana.
- 1819Alabama becomes the 22nd U.S. state.
- 1836The Toledo War unofficially ends.
- 1896The Glasgow Underground Railway is opened by the Glasgow District Subway Company.
- 1900Quantum mechanics: Max Planck presents a theoretical derivation of his black-body radiation law.
- 1902The Commercial Pacific Cable Company lays the first Pacific telegraph cable, from San Francisco to Honolulu.
- 1903The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
- 1907The schooner Thomas W. Lawson runs aground and founders near the Hellweather’s Reef within the Isles of Scilly in a gale. The pilot and 15 seamen die.
- 1909New South Wales Premier Charles Wade signs the Seat of Government Surrender Act 1909, formally completing the transfer of State land to the Commonwealth to create the Australian Capital Territory.
- 1911Roald Amundsens team, comprising himself, Olav Bjaaland, Helmer Hanssen, Sverre Hassel, and Oscar Wisting, becomes the first to reach the South Pole.
- 1913Japanese battleship Haruna, the fourth and last sclass- Kongō ship, launches, eventually becoming one of the Japanese workhorses during World War I and World War II.
- 1914Lisandro de la Torre and others found the Democratic Progressive Party (Partido Demócrata Progresista, PDP) at the Hotel Savoy, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 1918Friedrich Karl von Hessen, a German prince elected by the Parliament of Finland to become King Väinö I, renounces the Finnish throne.
- 1918Portuguese President Sidónio Pais is assassinated.
- 1939Winter War: The Soviet Union is expelled from the League of Nations for invading Finland.
- 1941World War II: Japan signs a treaty of alliance with Thailand.
- 1946The United Nations General Assembly votes to establish its headquarters in New York, New York.
- 1947Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, home of Real Madrid C.F., staged its first football match.
- 1955Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Ceylon, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Jordan, Laos, Libya, Nepal, Portugal, Romania and Spain join the United Nations.
- 1958The 3rd Soviet Antarctic Expedition becomes the first to reach the southern pole of inaccessibility.
- 1961Tanganyika joins the United Nations.
- 1962NASA’s Mariner 2 becomes the first spacecraft to fly by Venus.
- 1963The dam containing the Baldwin Hills Reservoir bursts, killing five people and damaging hundreds of homes in Los Angeles, California.
Curious about this Double Chocolate? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!