The following events took place on December 14. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 557Constantinople is severely damaged by an earthquake.
- 835Sweet Dew Incident: Emperor Wenzong of the Tang dynasty conspires to kill the powerful eunuchs of the Tang court, but the plot is foiled.
- 1287St. Lucia’s flood: The Zuiderzee sea wall in the Netherlands collapses, killing over 50,000 people.
- 1542Princess Mary Stuart becomes Mary, Queen of Scots.
- 1751The Theresian Military Academy is founded as the first military academy in the world.
- 1782The Montgolfier brothers’ first balloon lifts off on its first test flight.
- 1812The French invasion of Russia comes to an end as the remnants of the Grande Armée are expelled from Russia.
- 1814War of 1812: The Royal Navy seizes control of Lake Borgne, Louisiana.
- 1819Alabama becomes the 22nd U.S. state.
- 1836The Toledo War unofficially ends.
- 1896The Glasgow Underground Railway is opened by the Glasgow District Subway Company.
- 1900Quantum mechanics: Max Planck presents a theoretical derivation of his black-body radiation law.
- 1902The Commercial Pacific Cable Company lays the first Pacific telegraph cable, from San Francisco to Honolulu.
- 1903The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
- 1907The schooner Thomas W. Lawson runs aground and founders near the Hellweather’s Reef within the Isles of Scilly in a gale. The pilot and 15 seamen die.
- 1909New South Wales Premier Charles Wade signs the Seat of Government Surrender Act 1909, formally completing the transfer of State land to the Commonwealth to create the Australian Capital Territory.
- 1911Roald Amundsens team, comprising himself, Olav Bjaaland, Helmer Hanssen, Sverre Hassel, and Oscar Wisting, becomes the first to reach the South Pole.
- 1913Japanese battleship Haruna, the fourth and last sclass- Kongō ship, launches, eventually becoming one of the Japanese workhorses during World War I and World War II.
- 1914Lisandro de la Torre and others found the Democratic Progressive Party (Partido Demócrata Progresista, PDP) at the Hotel Savoy, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 1918Friedrich Karl von Hessen, a German prince elected by the Parliament of Finland to become King Väinö I, renounces the Finnish throne.
- 1918Portuguese President Sidónio Pais is assassinated.
- 1939Winter War: The Soviet Union is expelled from the League of Nations for invading Finland.
- 1941World War II: Japan signs a treaty of alliance with Thailand.
- 1946The United Nations General Assembly votes to establish its headquarters in New York, New York.
- 1947Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, home of Real Madrid C.F., staged its first football match.
- 1955Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Ceylon, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Jordan, Laos, Libya, Nepal, Portugal, Romania and Spain join the United Nations.
- 1958The 3rd Soviet Antarctic Expedition becomes the first to reach the southern pole of inaccessibility.
- 1961Tanganyika joins the United Nations.
- 1962NASA’s Mariner 2 becomes the first spacecraft to fly by Venus.
- 1963The dam containing the Baldwin Hills Reservoir bursts, killing five people and damaging hundreds of homes in Los Angeles, California.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!