The following events took place on December 16. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 714Pepin of Herstal, mayor of the Merovingian palace, dies at Jupille (modern Belgium). He is succeeded by his infant grandson Theudoald while his wife Plectrude holds actual power in the Frankish Kingdom.
- 755An Lushan revolts against Chancellor Yang Guozhong at Yanjing, initiating the An Lushan Rebellion during the Tang dynasty of China.
- 1431Hundred Years’ War: Henry VI of England is crowned King of France at Notre Dame in Paris.
- 1497Vasco da Gama rounds the Cape of Good Hope, the point where Bartolomeu Dias had previously turned back to Portugal.
- 1575An earthquake with an estimated magnitude of 8.5 strikes Valdivia, Chile.
- 1598Seven-Year War: Battle of Noryang – The final battle of the Seven-Year War is fought between the China and the Korean allied forces and Japanese navies, resulting in a decisive allied forces victory.
- 1653English Interregnum: The Protectorate – Oliver Cromwell becomes Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland.
- 1689Convention Parliament: The Declaration of Right is embodied in the Bill of Rights.
- 1707Last recorded eruption of Mount Fuji in Japan.
- 1761Seven Years’ War: After a four-month siege, the Russians under Pyotr Rumyantsev take the Prussian fortress of Kołobrzeg.
- 1773American Revolution: Boston Tea Party – Members of the Sons of Liberty disguised as Mohawk Indians dump hundreds of crates of tea into Boston harbor as a protest against the Tea Act.
- 1811The first two in a series of four severe earthquakes occur in the vicinity of New Madrid, Missouri.
- 1826Benjamin W. Edwards rides into Mexican-controlled Nacogdoches, Texas, and declares himself ruler of the Republic of Fredonia.
- 1838Great Trek: Battle of Blood River – Voortrekkers led by Andries Pretorius and Sarel Cilliers defeat Zulu impis, led by Dambuza (Nzobo) and Ndlela kaSompisi in what is today KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
- 1850The Charlotte Jane and the Randolph bring the first of the Canterbury Pilgrims to Lyttelton, New Zealand.
- 1863American Civil War: Joseph E. Johnston replaces Braxton Bragg as commander of the Confederate Army of Tennessee.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Nashville – Major General George Thomas’s Union forces defeat Lieutenant General John Bell Hood’s Confederate Army of Tennessee.
- 1903Taj Mahal Palace & Tower hotel in Bombay first opens its doors to the guests.
- 1907The American Great White Fleet begins its circumnavigation of the world.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Royal Hellenic Navy defeats the Ottoman Navy at the Battle of Elli.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)