The following events took place on December 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 69Emperor Vitellius is captured and murdered at the Gemonian stairs in Rome.
- 880Luoyang, eastern capital of the Tang dynasty, is captured by rebel leader Huang Chao during the reign of Emperor Xizong.
- 1135Stephen of Blois becomes King of England
- 1216Pope Honorius III approves the Dominican Order through the papal bull of confirmation Religiosam vitam.
- 1622Bucaramanga, Colombia is founded.
- 1769Sino-Burmese War: The war ends with an uneasy truce.
- 1788Nguyễn Huệ proclaims himself Emperor Quang Trung, in effect abolishing on his own the Lê dynasty.
- 1790The Turkish fortress of Izmail is stormed and captured by Alexander Suvorov and his Russian armies.
- 1807The Embargo Act, forbidding trade with all foreign countries, is passed by the U.S. Congress, at the urging of President Thomas Jefferson.
- 1808Ludwig van Beethoven conducts and performs in concert at the Theater an der Wien, Vienna, with the premiere of his Fifth Symphony, Sixth Symphony, Fourth Piano Concerto (performed by Beethoven himself) and Choral Fantasy (with Beethoven at the piano).
- 1851India’s first freight train is operated in Roorkee, India.
- 1864Savannah, Georgia falls to General William Tecumseh Sherman, concluding his “March to the Sea”.
- 1885Itō Hirobumi, a samurai, became the first Prime Minister of Japan.
- 1890Cornwallis Valley Railway begins operation between Kentville and Kingsport, Nova Scotia.
- 1891Asteroid 323 Brucia becomes the first asteroid discovered using photography.
- 1894The Dreyfus affair begins in France, when Alfred Dreyfus is wrongly convicted of treason.
- 1920The GOELRO economic development plan is adopted by the 8th Congress of Soviets of the Russian SFSR.
- 1937The Lincoln Tunnel opens to traffic in New York City.
- 1939Indian Muslims observe a “Day of Deliverance” to celebrate the resignations of members of the Indian National Congress over their not having been consulted over the decision to enter World War II with the United Kingdom.
- 1940World War II: Himarë is captured by the Greek army.
- 1942World War II: Adolf Hitler signs the order to develop the V-2 rocket as a weapon.
- 1944World War II: Battle of the Bulge – German troops demand the surrender of United States troops at Bastogne, Belgium, prompting the famous one word reply by General Anthony McAuliffe: “Nuts!”
- 1944World War II: The Vietnam People’s Army is formed to resist Japanese occupation of Indochina, now Vietnam.
- 1947The Constituent Assembly of Italy approves the Constitution of Italy.
- 1951The Selangor Labour Party is founded in Selangor, Malaya.
- 1956Colo, the first gorilla to be bred in captivity, is born at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium in Ohio.
- 1963The cruise ship Lakonia burns 180 mi north of Madeira, Portugal with the loss of 128 lives.
- 1964The first test flight of the SR-71 (Blackbird) took place at Air Force Plant 42 in Palmdale, California.
- 1965In the United Kingdom, a 70 mph speed limit is applied to all rural roads including motorways for the first time. Previously, there had been no speed limit.
- 1968Cultural Revolution: People’s Daily posted the instructions of Mao Zedong that it is “The intellectual youth must go to the country, and will be educated from living in rural poverty.”(Down to the Countryside Movement)
Curious about this Lime Green Mint? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!