The following events took place on December 23. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 39 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 484Huneric dies and is succeeded by his nephew Gunthamund, who becomes king of the Vandals. During his reign Christians are protected from persecution.
- 558Chlothar I is crowned King of the Franks.
- 562Hagia Sophia in Constantinople reopened with a rebuilt dome after a series of earthquakes caused the original to collapse.
- 583Maya queen Yohl Ik'nal is crowned ruler of Palenque.
- 679King Dagobert II is murdered while hunting.
- 962Arab–Byzantine wars: Under the future Emperor Nicephorus Phocas, Byzantine troops storm the city of Aleppo.
- 1572Theologian Johann Sylvan is executed in Heidelberg for his heretical Antitrinitarian beliefs.
- 1688As part of the Glorious Revolution, King James II of England flees from England to Paris, France after being deposed in favor of his nephew, William of Orange and his daughter Mary.
- 1783George Washington resigns as commander-in-chief of the Continental Army at the Maryland State House in Annapolis, Maryland.
- 1793The Battle of Savenay: a decisive defeat of the royalist counter-revolutionaries in War in the Vendée during the French Revolution.
- 1823A Visit from St. Nicholas, also known as The Night Before Christmas, is published anonymously.
- 1876First day of the Constantinople Conference which resulted in agreement for political reforms in the Balkans.
- 1893The opera Hansel and Gretel by Engelbert Humperdinck is first performed.
- 1913The Federal Reserve Act is signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson, creating the Federal Reserve System.
- 1914World War I: Australian and New Zealand troops arrive in Cairo, Egypt.
- 1916World War I: Battle of Magdhaba – Allied forces defeat Turkish forces in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula.
- 1919Sex Disqualification (Removal) Act 1919 becomes law in the United Kingdom.
- 1921Visva-Bharati University is inaugurated.
- 1936Colombia becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires copyright treaty.
- 1938Discovery of the first modern coelacanth in South Africa.
- 1940World War II: Greek submarine Papanikolis (Y-2) sinks the Italian motor ship Antonietta.
- 1941World War II: After 15 days of fighting, the Imperial Japanese Army occupies Wake Island.
- 1947The transistor is first demonstrated at Bell Laboratories.
- 1948Seven Japanese convicted of war crimes by the International Military Tribunal for the Far East are executed at Sugamo Prison in Tokyo, Japan.
- 1954First successful kidney transplant is performed by J. Hartwell Harrison and Joseph Murray.
- 1958Dedication of Tokyo Tower, the world’s highest self-supporting iron tower.
- 1968The 82 sailors from the USS Pueblo are released after eleven months of internment in North Korea.
- 1970The North Tower of the World Trade Center in Manhattan, New York, New York is topped out at 1368 ft, making it the tallest building in the world.
- 1970The Democratic Republic of the Congo officially becomes a single-party state.
- 1972A 6.5 magnitude earthquake strikes the Nicaraguan capital of Managua killing more than 10,000.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)