The following events took place on December 24. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 502Chinese emperor Xiao Yan names Xiao Tong his heir designate.
- 640Pope John IV is elected.
- 759Tang dynasty poet Du Fu departs for Chengdu, where he is hosted by fellow poet Pei Di.
- 1144The capital of the crusader County of Edessa falls to Imad ad-Din Zengi, the atabeg of Mosul and Aleppo.
- 1294Pope Boniface VIII is elected, replacing St. Celestine V, who had resigned.
- 1500A joint Venetian–Spanish fleet captures the Castle of St. George on the island of Cephalonia.
- 1777Kiritimati, also called Christmas Island, is discovered by James Cook.
- 1800The Plot of the rue Saint-Nicaise fails to kill Napoleon Bonaparte.
- 1814The Treaty of Ghent is signed ending the War of 1812.
- 1818The first performance of “Silent Night” takes place in the church of St. Nikolaus in Oberndorf, Austria.
- 1826The Eggnog Riot at the United States Military Academy begins that night, wrapping up the following morning.
- 1851Library of Congress burns.
- 1865The Ku Klux Klan is formed.
- 1871Aida opens in Cairo, Egypt.
- 1906Radio: Reginald Fessenden transmits the first radio broadcast; consisting of a poetry reading, a violin solo, and a speech.
- 1911Lackawanna Cut-Off railway line opens in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- 1913The Italian Hall disaster (“1913 Massacre”) in Calumet, Michigan, results in the death of 73 Christmas party goers held by striking mine workers, including 59 children.
- 1914World War I: The “Christmas truce” begins.
- 1924Albania becomes a republic.
- 1929Assassination attempt on Argentine President Hipólito Yrigoyen.
- 1939World War II: Pope Pius XII makes a Christmas Eve appeal for peace.
- 1941World War II: Kuching is conquered by Japanese forces.
- 1942World War II: French monarchist, Fernand Bonnier de La Chapelle, assassinates Vichy French Admiral François Darlan in Algiers, Algeria.
- 1943World War II: U.S. General Dwight D. Eisenhower is named Supreme Allied Commander for the Invasion of Normandy.
- 1951Libya becomes independent from Italy. Idris I is proclaimed King of Libya.
- 1953Tangiwai disaster: In New Zealand’s North Island, at Tangiwai, a railway bridge is damaged by a lahar and collapses beneath a passenger train, killing 151 people.
- 1955NORAD Tracks Santa for the first time in what will become an annual Christmas Eve tradition.
- 1964Vietnam War: Viet Cong operatives bomb the Brinks Hotel in Saigon, South Vietnam to demonstrate they can strike an American installation in the heavily guarded capital.
- 1966A Canadair CL-44 chartered by the United States military crashes into a small village in South Vietnam, killing 129.
- 1968Apollo program: The crew of Apollo 8 enters into orbit around the Moon, becoming the first humans to do so. They performed ten lunar orbits and broadcast live TV pictures.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!