The following events took place on December 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 333Roman Emperor Constantine the Great elevates his youngest son Constans to the rank of Caesar.
- 336First documentary sign of Christmas celebration in Rome.
- 350Vetranio meets Constantius II at Naissus (Serbia) and is forced to abdicate his title (Caesar). Constantius allows him to live as a private citizen on a state pension.
- 496Clovis I, king of the Franks, is baptized into the Catholic faith at Reims, by Saint Remigius.
- 597Augustine of Canterbury and his fellow-labourers baptise in Kent more than 10,000 Anglo-Saxons.
- 800The Coronation of Charlemagne as Holy Roman Emperor, in Rome.
- 1000The foundation of the Kingdom of Hungary: Hungary is established as a Christian kingdom by Stephen I of Hungary.
- 1025Coronation of Mieszko II Lambert as king of Poland.
- 1066William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy is crowned king of England, at Westminster Abbey, London.
- 1076Coronation of Bolesław II the Generous as king of Poland.
- 1100Baldwin of Boulogne is crowned the first King of Jerusalem in the Church of the Nativity.
- 1130Count Roger II of Sicily is crowned the first king of Sicily.
- 1261John IV Laskaris of the restored Eastern Roman Empire is deposed and blinded by orders of his co-ruler Michael VIII Palaiologos.
- 1492Carrack Santa María captained by Christopher Columbus runs onto reefs off Haiti due to a proper watch not being kept. Local natives help to save food, armory and ammunition but not the ship.
- 1553Battle of Tucapel: Mapuche rebels under Lautaro defeat the Spanish conquistadors and executes the governor of Chile, Pedro de Valdivia.
- 1559Pope Pius IV is elected.
- 1643Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean found and named by Captain William Mynors of the English East India Company vessel, the Royal Mary.
- 1776George Washington and the Continental Army cross the Delaware River at night to attack Hessian forces serving Great Britain at Trenton, New Jersey, the next day.
- 1809Dr. Ephraim McDowell performs the first ovariotomy, removing a 22-pound tumor.
- 1814Rev. Samuel Marsden holds the first Christian service on land in New Zealand at Rangihoua Bay.
- 1815The Handel and Haydn Society, oldest continually performing arts organization in the United States, gives its first performance.
- 1826The Eggnog Riot at the United States Military Academy concludes after beginning the previous evening.
- 1837Second Seminole War: American general Zachary Taylor leads 1100 troops against the Seminoles at the Battle of Lake Okeechobee.
- 1868United States President Andrew Johnson grants unconditional pardon to all Civil War Confederate soldiers.
- 1914A series of unofficial truces occur across the Western Front to celebrate Christmas.
- 1926Emperor Taishō of Japan dies. His son, Prince Hirohito, succeeds him as Emperor Shōwa.
- 1927The Vietnamese Nationalist Party is founded.
- 1932A magnitude 7.6 earthquake in Gansu, China kills 275 people.
- 1941Admiral Chester W. Nimitz arrives at Pearl Harbor to assume command of the U.S. Pacific Fleet
- 1941World War II: Battle of Hong Kong ends, beginning the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Bradley’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)