The following events took place on December 26. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1135Coronation of King Stephen of England.
- 1481Battle of Westbroek: Holland defeats troops of Utrecht.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: In the Battle of Trenton, the Continental Army attacks and successfully defeats a garrison of Hessian mercenaries.
- 1790Louis XVI of France gives his public assent to Civil Constitution of the Clergy during the French Revolution.
- 1793Second Battle of Wissembourg: France defeat Austria.
- 1793The wedding of Prince Friedrich Ludwig of Prussia and Frederica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz takes place.
- 1799Four thousand people attend George Washington’s funeral where Henry Lee III declares him as “first in war, first in peace and first in the hearts of his countrymen.”
- 1805Austria and France sign the Treaty of Pressburg.
- 1806Battles of Pultusk and Golymin: Russian forces hold French forces under Napoleon.
- 1811A theater fire in Richmond, Virginia kills the Governor of Virginia George William Smith and the president of the First National Bank of Virginia Abraham B. Venable.
- 1825Advocates of liberalism in Russia rise up against Czar Nicholas I and are put down in the Decembrist revolt in Saint Petersburg.
- 1846Trapped in snow in the Sierra Nevadas and without food, members of the Donner Party resort to cannibalism.
- 1860The first ever inter-club association football match takes place between Hallam F.C. and Sheffield F.C. at the Sandygate Road ground in Sheffield, England, United Kingdom.
- 1861American Civil War: The Trent Affair: Confederate diplomatic envoys James M. Mason and John Slidell are freed by the United States government, thus heading off a possible war between the United States and United Kingdom.
- 1862American Civil War: The Battle of Chickasaw Bayou begins.
- 1862Four nuns serving as volunteer nurses on board USS Red Rover are the first female nurses on a U.S. Navy hospital ship.
- 1862The largest mass-hanging in U.S. history took place in Mankato, Minnesota, 38 Native Americans died.
- 1870The 12.8-km long Fréjus Rail Tunnel through the Alps is completed.
- 1871Gilbert and Sullivan collaborate for the first time, on their lost opera, Thespis. It does modestly well, but the two would not collaborate again for four years.
- 1883The Harbour Grace Affray between Irish Catholics and Protestant Orangemen causes five deaths in Newfoundland.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)