The following events took place on December 26. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1135Coronation of King Stephen of England.
- 1481Battle of Westbroek: Holland defeats troops of Utrecht.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: In the Battle of Trenton, the Continental Army attacks and successfully defeats a garrison of Hessian mercenaries.
- 1790Louis XVI of France gives his public assent to Civil Constitution of the Clergy during the French Revolution.
- 1793Second Battle of Wissembourg: France defeat Austria.
- 1793The wedding of Prince Friedrich Ludwig of Prussia and Frederica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz takes place.
- 1799Four thousand people attend George Washington’s funeral where Henry Lee III declares him as “first in war, first in peace and first in the hearts of his countrymen.”
- 1805Austria and France sign the Treaty of Pressburg.
- 1806Battles of Pultusk and Golymin: Russian forces hold French forces under Napoleon.
- 1811A theater fire in Richmond, Virginia kills the Governor of Virginia George William Smith and the president of the First National Bank of Virginia Abraham B. Venable.
- 1825Advocates of liberalism in Russia rise up against Czar Nicholas I and are put down in the Decembrist revolt in Saint Petersburg.
- 1846Trapped in snow in the Sierra Nevadas and without food, members of the Donner Party resort to cannibalism.
- 1860The first ever inter-club association football match takes place between Hallam F.C. and Sheffield F.C. at the Sandygate Road ground in Sheffield, England, United Kingdom.
- 1861American Civil War: The Trent Affair: Confederate diplomatic envoys James M. Mason and John Slidell are freed by the United States government, thus heading off a possible war between the United States and United Kingdom.
- 1862American Civil War: The Battle of Chickasaw Bayou begins.
- 1862Four nuns serving as volunteer nurses on board USS Red Rover are the first female nurses on a U.S. Navy hospital ship.
- 1862The largest mass-hanging in U.S. history took place in Mankato, Minnesota, 38 Native Americans died.
- 1870The 12.8-km long Fréjus Rail Tunnel through the Alps is completed.
- 1871Gilbert and Sullivan collaborate for the first time, on their lost opera, Thespis. It does modestly well, but the two would not collaborate again for four years.
- 1883The Harbour Grace Affray between Irish Catholics and Protestant Orangemen causes five deaths in Newfoundland.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)