The following events took place on December 27. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 38 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 537The Hagia Sophia is completed.
- 1512The Spanish Crown issues the Laws of Burgos, governing the conduct of settlers with regard to native Indians in the New World.
- 1655Second Northern War/the Deluge: Monks at the Jasna Góra Monastery in Częstochowa are successful in fending off a month-long siege.
- 1657The Flushing Remonstrance is signed.
- 1703Portugal and England sign the Methuen Treaty which gives preference to Portuguese imported wines into England.
- 1814War of 1812: The American schooner USS Carolina is destroyed. It was the last of Commodore Daniel Patterson’s makeshift fleet that fought a series of delaying actions that contributed to Andrew Jackson’s victory at the Battle of New Orleans.
- 1831Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard the HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate the theory of evolution.
- 1836The worst ever avalanche in England occurs at Lewes, Sussex, killing eight people.
- 1845Ether anesthetic is used for childbirth for the first time by Dr. Crawford Long in Jefferson, Georgia.
- 1845Journalist John L. O'Sullivan, writing in his newspaper the New York Morning News, argues that the United States had the right to claim the entire Oregon Country “by the right of our manifest destiny”.
- 1911“Jana Gana Mana”, the national anthem of India, is first sung in the Calcutta Session of the Indian National Congress.
- 1918The Great Poland Uprising against the Germans begins.
- 1922Japanese aircraft carrier Hōshō becomes the first purpose built aircraft carrier to be commissioned in the world.
- 1923Daisuke Namba, a Japanese student, tries to assassinate the Prince Regent Hirohito.
- 1927Show Boat, considered to be the first true American musical play, opens at the Ziegfeld Theatre on Broadway.
- 1929Soviet General Secretary Joseph Stalin orders the “liquidation of the kulaks as a class”, ostensibly as an effort to spread socialism to the countryside.
- 1932Radio City Music Hall, “Showplace of the Nation”, opens in New York City.
- 1939Erzincan, Turkey, is hit by an earthquake, killing 30,000.
- 1939Winter War: Finland holds off a Soviet attack in the Battle of Kelja.
- 1942The Union of Pioneers of Yugoslavia is founded.
- 1945The World Bank and International Monetary Fund are created with the signing of an agreement by 29 nations.
- 1949Indonesian National Revolution: The Netherlands officially recognizes Indonesian independence. End of the Dutch East Indies.
- 1966The Cave of Swallows, the largest known cave shaft in the world, is discovered in Aquismón, San Luis Potosí, Mexico.
- 1968Apollo program: Apollo 8 splashes down in the Pacific Ocean, ending the first orbital manned mission to the Moon.
- 1978Spain becomes a democracy after 40 years of fascist dictatorship.
- 1979The Soviet Union invades the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan.
- 1983Pope John Paul II visits Mehmet Ali Ağca in Rebibbia’s prison and personally forgives him for the 1981 attack on him in St. Peter’s Square.
- 1985Palestinian guerrillas kill eighteen people inside the airports of Rome, Italy, and Vienna, Austria.
- 1989The Romanian Revolution concludes, as the last minor street confrontations and stray shootings abruptly end in the country’s capital, Bucharest.
- 1996Taliban forces retake the strategic Bagram Airfield which solidifies their buffer zone around Kabul, Afghanistan.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Nancy’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)