The following events took place on December 5. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 63 BCCicero gives the fourth and final of the Catiline Orations.
- 633Fourth Council of Toledo takes place.
- 1082Ramon Berenguer II, Count of Barcelona is assassinated.
- 1408Emir Edigu of Golden Horde reaches Moscow.
- 1484Pope Innocent VIII issues the Summis desiderantes affectibus, a papal bull that deputizes Heinrich Kramer and Jacob Sprenger as inquisitors to root out alleged witchcraft in Germany.
- 1492Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to set foot on the island of Hispaniola (now Haiti and the Dominican Republic).
- 1496King Manuel I of Portugal issues a decree of expulsion of “heretics” from the country.
- 1757Seven Years’ War: Battle of Leuthen – Frederick II of Prussia leads Prussian forces to a decisive victory over Austrian forces under Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine.
- 1766In London, James Christie holds his first sale.
- 1775At Fort Ticonderoga, Henry Knox begins his historic transport of artillery to Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1815Foundation of Maceió, Brazil.
- 1831Former U.S. President John Quincy Adams takes his seat in the House of Representatives.
- 1847Jefferson Davis is elected to the U.S. senate.
- 1848California Gold Rush: In a message to the United States Congress, U.S. President James K. Polk confirms that large amounts of gold had been discovered in California.
- 1865Chincha Islands War: Peru allies with Chile against Spain.
- 1876The Brooklyn Theater Fire kills at least 278 people in Brooklyn, New York.
- 1916British premier H. H. Asquith resigns from his post.
- 1920Dimitrios Rallis forms a government in Greece.
- 1931Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow was destroyed by an order of Joseph Stalin.
- 1932German-born Swiss physicist Albert Einstein is granted an American visa.
- 1933Prohibition in the United States ends: Utah becomes the 36th U.S. state to ratify the Twenty-first Amendment to the United States Constitution, thus establishing the required 75% of states needed to enact the amendment. (This overturned the 18th Amendment which had made the manufacture, sale, or transportation of alcohol illegal in the United States.)
- 1934Abyssinia Crisis: Italian troops attack Wal Wal in Abyssinia, taking four days to capture the city.
- 1936The Soviet Union adopts a new constitution and the Kirghiz Soviet Socialist Republic is established as a full Union Republic of the USSR.
- 1941World War II: In the Battle of Moscow, Georgy Zhukov launches a massive Soviet counter-attack against the German army, with the biggest offensive launched against Army Group Centre.
- 1941World War II: Great Britain declares war on Finland, Hungary and Romania.
- 1943World War II: Allied air forces begin attacking Germany’s secret weapons bases in Operation Crossbow.
- 1945Flight 19 is lost in the Bermuda Triangle.
- 1952Great Smog: A cold fog descends upon London, combining with air pollution and killing at least 12,000 in the weeks and months that follow.
- 1955The American Federation of Labor and the Congress of Industrial Organizations merge and form the AFL–CIO.
- 1955E. D. Nixon and Rosa Parks lead the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Lillian’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)