The following events took place on December 5. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 63 BCCicero gives the fourth and final of the Catiline Orations.
- 633Fourth Council of Toledo takes place.
- 1082Ramon Berenguer II, Count of Barcelona is assassinated.
- 1408Emir Edigu of Golden Horde reaches Moscow.
- 1484Pope Innocent VIII issues the Summis desiderantes affectibus, a papal bull that deputizes Heinrich Kramer and Jacob Sprenger as inquisitors to root out alleged witchcraft in Germany.
- 1492Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to set foot on the island of Hispaniola (now Haiti and the Dominican Republic).
- 1496King Manuel I of Portugal issues a decree of expulsion of “heretics” from the country.
- 1757Seven Years’ War: Battle of Leuthen – Frederick II of Prussia leads Prussian forces to a decisive victory over Austrian forces under Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine.
- 1766In London, James Christie holds his first sale.
- 1775At Fort Ticonderoga, Henry Knox begins his historic transport of artillery to Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1815Foundation of Maceió, Brazil.
- 1831Former U.S. President John Quincy Adams takes his seat in the House of Representatives.
- 1847Jefferson Davis is elected to the U.S. senate.
- 1848California Gold Rush: In a message to the United States Congress, U.S. President James K. Polk confirms that large amounts of gold had been discovered in California.
- 1865Chincha Islands War: Peru allies with Chile against Spain.
- 1876The Brooklyn Theater Fire kills at least 278 people in Brooklyn, New York.
- 1916British premier H. H. Asquith resigns from his post.
- 1920Dimitrios Rallis forms a government in Greece.
- 1931Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow was destroyed by an order of Joseph Stalin.
- 1932German-born Swiss physicist Albert Einstein is granted an American visa.
- 1933Prohibition in the United States ends: Utah becomes the 36th U.S. state to ratify the Twenty-first Amendment to the United States Constitution, thus establishing the required 75% of states needed to enact the amendment. (This overturned the 18th Amendment which had made the manufacture, sale, or transportation of alcohol illegal in the United States.)
- 1934Abyssinia Crisis: Italian troops attack Wal Wal in Abyssinia, taking four days to capture the city.
- 1936The Soviet Union adopts a new constitution and the Kirghiz Soviet Socialist Republic is established as a full Union Republic of the USSR.
- 1941World War II: In the Battle of Moscow, Georgy Zhukov launches a massive Soviet counter-attack against the German army, with the biggest offensive launched against Army Group Centre.
- 1941World War II: Great Britain declares war on Finland, Hungary and Romania.
- 1943World War II: Allied air forces begin attacking Germany’s secret weapons bases in Operation Crossbow.
- 1945Flight 19 is lost in the Bermuda Triangle.
- 1952Great Smog: A cold fog descends upon London, combining with air pollution and killing at least 12,000 in the weeks and months that follow.
- 1955The American Federation of Labor and the Congress of Industrial Organizations merge and form the AFL–CIO.
- 1955E. D. Nixon and Rosa Parks lead the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters HPQAII? Check your answers here: Word search HPQAII. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)