The following events took place on December 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 40 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 395Later Yan is defeated by its former vassal Northern Wei at the Battle of Canhe Slope.
- 757Du Fu returns to Chang'an as a member of Emperor Xuanzong’s court, after having escaped the city during the An Lushan Rebellion.
- 1432The first battle between the forces of Švitrigaila and Sigismund Kęstutaitis is fought near the town of Oszmiana (Ashmyany), launching the most active phase of the Lithuanian Civil War.
- 1560The city of Guarulhos is founded.
- 1596Luis de Carabajal the younger, one of the first Jewish authors in the Americas, died in an auto-da-fé during the Spanish Inquisition in Mexico City.
- 1660A woman (either Margaret Hughes or Anne Marshall) appears on an English public stage for the first time, in the role of Desdemona in a production of Shakespeare’s play Othello.
- 1813Premier of Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony.
- 1854In his Apostolic constitution Ineffabilis Deus, Pope Pius IX proclaims the dogmatic definition of Immaculate Conception, which holds that the Virgin Mary was conceived free of original sin.
- 1907King Gustaf V of Sweden accedes to the Swedish throne.
- 1912Leaders of the German Empire hold an Imperial War Council to discuss the possibility that war might break out.
- 1914World War I: A squadron of Britain’s Royal Navy defeats an inferior squadron of the Imperial German High Seas Fleet in the Battle of the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.
- 1922Northern Ireland ceases to be part of the Irish Free State.
- 1927The Brookings Institution, one of the United States’ oldest think tanks, is founded through the merger of three organizations that had been created by philanthropist Robert S. Brookings.
- 1941World War II: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt declares December 7 to be “a date which will live in infamy”, after which the U.S. declares war on Japan.
- 1941World War II: Japanese forces simultaneously invade Shanghai International Settlement, Malaya, Thailand, Hong Kong, the Philippines, and the Dutch East Indies. (See December 7 for the concurrent attack on Pearl Harbor in the Western Hemisphere.)
- 1949The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East is established to provide aid to Palestinian refugees who left their homes during the 1948 Palestinian exodus.
- 1953U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers his “Atoms for Peace” speech, which leads to an American program to supply equipment and information on nuclear power to schools, hospitals, and research institutions around the world.
- 1962Workers at four New York City newspapers (this later increases to nine) go on strike for 114 days.
- 1963Pan Am Flight 214, a Boeing 707, is struck by lightning and crashes near Elkton, Maryland, killing all 81 people on board.
- 1966The Greek ship SS Heraklion sinks in a storm in the Aegean Sea, killing over 200.
- 1969An Olympic Airways Douglas DC-6 strikes a mountain outside of Keratea, Greece, killing 90—the worst crash of a DC-6.
- 1971Indo-Pakistani War: The Indian Navy launches an attack on West Pakistan’s port city of Karachi.
- 1972United Airlines Flight 553, a Boeing 737, crashes after aborting its landing attempt at Chicago Midway International Airport, killing 45. The crash is the first-ever loss of a Boeing 737.
- 1974A plebiscite results in the abolition of monarchy in Greece.
- 1980John Lennon is murdered by Mark David Chapman in front of The Dakota in New York City.
- 1982In Suriname, several opponents of the military government are killed.
- 1987The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty is signed.
- 1987Frank Vitkovic shoots and kills eight people at the Australia Post building in Melbourne, before jumping to his death.
- 1987The Alianza Lima air disaster occurs.
- 1987An Israeli army tank transporter kills four Palestinian refugees and injures seven others during a traffic accident at the Erez Crossing on the Israel–Gaza Strip border, sparking the First Intifada.
Curious about this Lemon Whipped Cream? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!