The following events took place on February 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 52 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 660 BCTraditional date for the foundation of Japan by Emperor Jimmu.
- 55Tiberius Claudius Caesar Britannicus, heir to the Roman emperorship, dies under mysterious circumstances in Rome. This clears the way for Nero to become Emperor.
- 244Emperor Gordian III is murdered by mutinous soldiers in Zaitha (Mesopotamia). A mound is raised at Carchemish in his memory.
- 1177John de Courcy’s army defeats the native Dunleavey Clan in Ulster. The English establish themselves in Ulster.
- 1534Henry VIII of England is recognized as supreme head of the Church of England.
- 1626Emperor Susenyos I of Ethiopia and Patriarch Afonso Mendes declare the primacy of the Roman See over the Ethiopian Church, and Roman Catholicism the state religion of Ethiopia.
- 1659The assault on Copenhagen by Swedish forces is beaten back with heavy losses.
- 1790The Religious Society of Friends, also known as Quakers, petitions U.S. Congress for abolition of slavery.
- 1794First session of United States Senate opens to the public.
- 1808Jesse Fell burns anthracite on an open grate as an experiment in heating homes with coal.
- 1812Massachusetts governor Elbridge Gerry “gerrymanders” for the first time.
- 1826University College London is founded under the name University of London.
- 1826Swaminarayan writes the Shikshapatri, an important text within Swaminarayan Hinduism.
- 1840Gaetano Donizetti’s opera La fille du régiment receives its first performance in Paris, France.
- 1843Giuseppe Verdi’s opera I Lombardi alla prima crociata receives its first performance in Milan, Italy.
- 1855Kassa Hailu is crowned Tewodros II, Emperor of Ethiopia, by Abuna Salama III in a ceremony at the church of Derasge Maryam
- 1856The Kingdom of Awadh is annexed by the British East India Company and Wajid Ali Shah, the king of Awadh, is imprisoned and later exiled to Calcutta.
- 1858Bernadette Soubirous’s first vision of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Lourdes, France.
- 1861American Civil War: United States House of Representatives unanimously passes a resolution guaranteeing noninterference with slavery in any state.
- 1873King Amadeo I of Spain abdicates.
- 1889Meiji Constitution of Japan is adopted; the first National Diet convenes in 1890.
- 1903Anton Bruckner’s 9th Symphony receives its first performance in Vienna, Austria.
- 1906Pope Pius X publishes the encyclical Vehementer Nos.
- 1916Emma Goldman is arrested for lecturing on birth control.
- 1919Friedrich Ebert (SPD), is elected President of Germany.
- 1925Phi Alpha Delta Fraternity, Inc. Was Founded At The College of New Jersey
- 1929Kingdom of Italy and the Vatican sign the Lateran Treaty.
- 1937A sit-down strike ends when General Motors recognizes the United Auto Workers.
- 1938BBC Television produces the world’s first ever science fiction television program, an adaptation of a section of the Karel Čapek play R.U.R., that coined the term “robot”.
- 1939A Lockheed P-38 Lightning flies from California to New York in 7 hours 2 minutes.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Wilma’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)