The following events took place on February 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 52 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 660 BCTraditional date for the foundation of Japan by Emperor Jimmu.
- 55Tiberius Claudius Caesar Britannicus, heir to the Roman emperorship, dies under mysterious circumstances in Rome. This clears the way for Nero to become Emperor.
- 244Emperor Gordian III is murdered by mutinous soldiers in Zaitha (Mesopotamia). A mound is raised at Carchemish in his memory.
- 1177John de Courcy’s army defeats the native Dunleavey Clan in Ulster. The English establish themselves in Ulster.
- 1534Henry VIII of England is recognized as supreme head of the Church of England.
- 1626Emperor Susenyos I of Ethiopia and Patriarch Afonso Mendes declare the primacy of the Roman See over the Ethiopian Church, and Roman Catholicism the state religion of Ethiopia.
- 1659The assault on Copenhagen by Swedish forces is beaten back with heavy losses.
- 1790The Religious Society of Friends, also known as Quakers, petitions U.S. Congress for abolition of slavery.
- 1794First session of United States Senate opens to the public.
- 1808Jesse Fell burns anthracite on an open grate as an experiment in heating homes with coal.
- 1812Massachusetts governor Elbridge Gerry “gerrymanders” for the first time.
- 1826University College London is founded under the name University of London.
- 1826Swaminarayan writes the Shikshapatri, an important text within Swaminarayan Hinduism.
- 1840Gaetano Donizetti’s opera La fille du régiment receives its first performance in Paris, France.
- 1843Giuseppe Verdi’s opera I Lombardi alla prima crociata receives its first performance in Milan, Italy.
- 1855Kassa Hailu is crowned Tewodros II, Emperor of Ethiopia, by Abuna Salama III in a ceremony at the church of Derasge Maryam
- 1856The Kingdom of Awadh is annexed by the British East India Company and Wajid Ali Shah, the king of Awadh, is imprisoned and later exiled to Calcutta.
- 1858Bernadette Soubirous’s first vision of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Lourdes, France.
- 1861American Civil War: United States House of Representatives unanimously passes a resolution guaranteeing noninterference with slavery in any state.
- 1873King Amadeo I of Spain abdicates.
- 1889Meiji Constitution of Japan is adopted; the first National Diet convenes in 1890.
- 1903Anton Bruckner’s 9th Symphony receives its first performance in Vienna, Austria.
- 1906Pope Pius X publishes the encyclical Vehementer Nos.
- 1916Emma Goldman is arrested for lecturing on birth control.
- 1919Friedrich Ebert (SPD), is elected President of Germany.
- 1925Phi Alpha Delta Fraternity, Inc. Was Founded At The College of New Jersey
- 1929Kingdom of Italy and the Vatican sign the Lateran Treaty.
- 1937A sit-down strike ends when General Motors recognizes the United Auto Workers.
- 1938BBC Television produces the world’s first ever science fiction television program, an adaptation of a section of the Karel Čapek play R.U.R., that coined the term “robot”.
- 1939A Lockheed P-38 Lightning flies from California to New York in 7 hours 2 minutes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!