The following events took place on February 16. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 31 - 45.
- 1968In Haleyville, Alabama, the first 9-1-1 emergency telephone system goes into service.
- 1978The first computer bulletin board system is created (CBBS in Chicago).
- 1983The Ash Wednesday bushfires in Victoria and South Australia kill 75.
- 1985Hezbollah is founded.
- 1986The Soviet liner MS Mikhail Lermontov runs aground in the Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand.
- 1987The trial of John Demjanjuk, accused of being a Nazi guard dubbed “Ivan the Terrible” in Treblinka extermination camp, starts in Jerusalem.
- 1991Nicaraguan Contras leader Enrique Bermúdez is assassinated in Managua.
- 1998China Airlines Flight 676 crashes into a road and residential area near Chiang Kai-shek International Airport in Taiwan, killing all 196 aboard and seven more on the ground.
- 1999In Uzbekistan, a bomb explodes and gunfire is heard at the government headquarters in an apparent assassination attempt against President Islom Karimov.
- 1999Across Europe, Kurdish rebels take over embassies and hold hostages after Turkey arrests one of their rebel leaders, Abdullah Öcalan.
- 2005The Kyoto Protocol comes into force, following its ratification by Russia.
- 2005The National Hockey League cancels the entire 2004-2005 regular season and playoffs.
- 2006The last Mobile army surgical hospital (MASH) is decommissioned by the United States Army.
- 2013A bomb blast at a market in Hazara Town in Quetta, Pakistan kills more than 80 people and injures 190 others.
- 2015A CSX train crashes in Mount Carbon, West Virginia resulting in large fires.
Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters QEELQPNU? Check your answers here: Word search QEELQPNU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)