The following events took place on February 2. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 506Alaric II, eighth king of the Visigoths promulgates the Breviary of Alaric (Breviarium Alaricianum or Lex Romana Visigothorum), a collection of “Roman law”.
- 962Translatio imperii: Pope John XII crowns Otto I, Holy Roman Emperor, the first Holy Roman Emperor in nearly 40 years.
- 1032Conrad II, Holy Roman Emperor becomes King of Burgundy.
- 1141The Battle of Lincoln, at which King Stephen is defeated and captured by the allies of Empress Matilda, presenting her with an opportunity to become the first queen of medieval England; this fails to occur, however.
- 1207Terra Mariana, comprising present-day Estonia and Latvia, is established.
- 1461Wars of the Roses: The Battle of Mortimer’s Cross is fought in Herefordshire, England.
- 1536Spaniard Pedro de Mendoza founds Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 1542Portuguese forces under Cristóvão da Gama capture a Muslim-occupied hill fort in northern Ethiopia in the Battle of Baçente.
- 1653New Amsterdam (later renamed The City of New York) is incorporated.
- 1709Alexander Selkirk is rescued after being shipwrecked on a desert island, inspiring the book Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe.
- 1848Mexican–American War: The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo is signed.
- 1848California Gold Rush: The first ship with Chinese immigrants arrives in San Francisco.
- 1868Pro-Imperial forces captured Osaka Castle from the Tokugawa shogunate and burned it to the ground.
- 1876The National League of Professional Baseball Clubs of Major League Baseball is formed.
- 1887In Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania the first Groundhog Day is observed.
- 1899The Australian Premiers’ Conference held in Melbourne decides to locate Australia’s capital city, Canberra, between Sydney and Melbourne.
- 1901Funeral of Queen Victoria.
- 1913Grand Central Terminal is opened in New York City.
- 1914Charlie Chaplin’s first film appearance, Making a Living premieres.
- 1920The Tartu Peace Treaty is signed between Estonia and Russia.
- 1920France occupies Memel.
- 1922Ulysses by James Joyce is published.
- 1925Serum run to Nome: Dog sleds reach Nome, Alaska with diphtheria serum, inspiring the Iditarod race.
- 1933Working as maids, the sisters Christine and Léa Papin murder their employer’s wife and daughter in Le Mans, France. The case is the subject of a number of French films and plays.
- 1934The Export-Import Bank of the United States is incorporated.
- 1935Leonarde Keeler tests the first polygraph machine.
- 1942Osvald Group is responsible for the first, active event of Resistance [against the German occupation of Norway] when Østbanehallen (at present-day Oslo Central Station) was blown up to protest the inauguration of Vidkun Quisling.
- 1943World War II: The Battle of Stalingrad comes to conclusion as Soviet troops accept the surrender of 91,000 remnants of the Axis forces.
- 1957Iskander Mirza of Pakistan lays the foundation-stone of the Guddu Barrage.
- 1959Dyatlov Pass incident
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)